VMware Cloud Community
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5

Can someone please help me install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 to a Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) PC that has 8Gb of RAM.

What I am looking at is to install this and learn how to use it, will I need to keep reinstalling after a period of time with the evaluation licence?

Can someone please help me install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 to a Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) PC that has 8Gb of RAM.

What I am looking at is to install this and learn how to use it, will I need to keep reinstalling after a period of time with the evaluation licence?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
youssefelhnaoui
Contributor
Contributor

hello GrahamUK33

You must install first in your computer Vmware Workstation . Inside the VMware Workstation you can install your hypervisor 5 and more.

0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I find the workstation? There is nothing under the hypervisor download.

Will this just install as another package on my PC so that I can open it as and when I need to?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - ESXi 5 installs on the bare metal so you will need to install a hosted virtualization platform like VMware Workstation or VMware Player - this will allow you to create a virtual machine that you will be able to install ESXi on that vm - http://henriwithani.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/running-esxi-5-on-vmware-player/

The differences between player and workstation - workstation has more features and player is free -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
youssefelhnaoui
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation is windows package that you can download it from the website of VMware.

the url is :

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation/8_0

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

just to point out workstation is not free -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for getting back so quick guys, I have now started off a download for VMware Player.

0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed VMware View and have also installed VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5. I am now at the Grey/Yellow screen. Is this the ESXi where I can install multiple VMs or is this just one VM and I will have to install VMware View and go through the process again?

How do I install vCentre so that I can see all the VMs in one place, I take it this will need to be on a VM itself? Maybe this should be the first job.

I have installed VMware View and have also installed VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5. I am now at the Grey/Yellow screen. Is this the ESXi where I can install multiple VMs or is this just one VM and I will have to install VMware View and go through the process again?

How do I install vCentre so that I can see all the VMs in one place, I take it this will need to be on a VM itself? Maybe this should be the first job.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Once the you have installed the ESX the grey screen that you are reffering to is actually the ESX install. Once this is done you need to install vSphere client on one of your windows desktops/laptops and then point to the IP of the ESX server which you gave at the time of installation.

Once that is done then you can login to the ESX using vSphere Client and then create Virtual machines. Once the Virtual machines are created you can also create vCenter as one of the Virtual machines on the same ESX.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys, to get my head around what I am doing:
‘VMware View 4’ + ‘VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5’ = ‘ESXi 5 Host’

I have created a virtual host which would normally be a physical server in the rack. Now I have installed VMware vSphere Client which connects to the host in a browers format to allow you to manage the host and to create VMs.

Is this right?

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

VMware View 4’ + ‘VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5’ = ‘ESXi 5 Host

what you are doing is correct but VMware View 4’ + ‘VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5’ is not equal to ESXi5. View is a VDi or desktop virtualization solution.

only ‘VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5’ = ‘ESXi 5 Host

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I think I have now got my head around what I have created, its taken a while for the penny to drop!

I have tried to create a VM (Server 2008 R2) and thought I would start the disk space at 35Gb. Well the problem now is that I have got a 40Gb datastore.

I have now made the ESX 300Gb by amending the amount in VMware Player.

Now when I got in to VMware Client under hardware\storage I can see datastore1 at 35Gb, how can I now make this 300Gb?

0 Kudos
youssefelhnaoui
Contributor
Contributor

hi GrahamUK33

you have to  extend your VMFS Datastore.

0 Kudos
youssefelhnaoui
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

The storeage guide is over 200 pages, is this not ment to be easier than this. I thought the whole point to VMware is that as long as the host has the capacity then you can easily amend the VMs.

How long does it take to learn this? at this rate I am never going to even get close to being able to use it.

0 Kudos
youssefelhnaoui
Contributor
Contributor

i gave the url just for more details . in you case you have just to extend your VMFS DATASTORE . you go to your disk of 35 Gb and you click extend and you choose the capacity that you want . but first you have to create a new disk with the free capacity existing.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

how to extend your datastore,

step by step with pics...

http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com/2012/07/growing-and-expanding-vmfs.html

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
GrahamUK33
Contributor
Contributor

I'm afraid the datastore1 just don't want me to increse its size, I dont have any SCSI drives as this is a test bed on a 2Tb drive. I am trying to follow the intructions but it looks a bit diffrent.

All I have is the virual ESXi with no VMs on at the moment. I allocated 40Gb for the ESXi at the time which has not left me enough room to instal 2-3 VMs. In VMware client I can see the 300Gb if I select storage then click on the devices tab. When I select datastore and look under datastore1 I can see that is 35Gb.

Now I can go to properties and select increase but when the increase datastore capacity window comes up the options on the left are greyed out and there is nothing in the right hand pane.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you could add another disk to the virutal esxi  in your vmware player.

then you can rescan the disks, and you should then be able to add another VMFS mount for your guest vm os

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos