VMware Cloud Community
mrchainsaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing Profile-Driven Storage via vCenter 5.1 Server fails

3 Windows 2008 R2 servers (SQL Server hosting SSO and VCDB - SSO server - vCenter server)

• Create the SSO database and vCenter database without any issues
  • SSO service installs without any issues
  • Inventory service installs without any issues
  • Installing vCenter service and it breaks when installing the Profile_Driven Storage service

I reviewed the following KB: VMware KB: Installing Profile-Driven Storage via vCenter Server fails with an error code 1603

None of the KB applies to the installation. Everything looks correct. Deleted everything and attempted the installation again, on fresh built servers, same result.

VIM-SPS-msi.log and VMINST.log are attached for your review.

9 Replies
wayne_hollomby
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

did you ever get this problem resolved ?

We are having exact same issue

Thanks

Wayne

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

is your windows version is latest SP ?.

Can you please post the screenshot.

Did you find any entry in Windows services or installer could successful roll back the changes ?.

Are you using different Certificate or VMware self signed certificate.

Did you observe the problem in other VMs as well /

--Nithin
0 Kudos
ngerasimatos
Contributor
Contributor

In our situation the issue was caused by performing the installation from within the OS and using Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO. The ISO needs to either be unzipped (using 7zip or similar) or via mounting the ISO to the physical machine or virtual machine.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Profile-driven storage does not get installed if vCenter service does not start in time during the installation process. You can check if the vCenter service is running, start it manually if its not running. Then rerun the vCenter installer again, it should detect profile-driven storage is not installed and install only that component. But if vCenter service itself doesn't start then there is a different problem here.

wayne_hollomby
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I will get some screenshots and copy of logs I am not onsite currently

Its Windows Server 2012 RTM and we are using self signed certificates

There is only 1 VC server so we haven't tried the upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1b on any other boxes

0 Kudos
wayne_hollomby
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos
wayne_hollomby
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bugz,

The Virtual Centre service is running ok and still works on 5.1 after the upgrade fails when its tries to install the Profile-Driven storage service for the 5.1b upgrade install.

I will get some logs on next visit to site

Thanks

0 Kudos
DaBilli
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone is still having this issue I fixed my situation by following the instructions in VMware KB: Installing Profile-Driven Storage via vCenter Server fails with an error code 1603 and then changed the account used for the vCenter services (main and web). I started those services and then was able to finish the installation of the Profile-Driven Storage service. The account used before was a local administrator account that wasn't part of the SSO users/groups. I couldn't start the vCenter service with this local administrator account. After chaining the service account to a domain administrator account that had rights prior to SSO being installed; I could start the services for vCenter and then could also proceed with the install of profile-driven storage.

taner_cort
Contributor
Contributor

I changed too vCenter Server Service log on account from Local service to domain admin, and tried to install vCenter Server component. It installed only VMware vSphere Profile Drive Storage service. After than, I upgraded my vCenter.

0 Kudos