VMware Cloud Community
ChrisS_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Install to and running ESXi from SD

Hello all,

Was just after some real world experiences. For virtually all of my non lab builds of ESXi I tend to stick to installing to local disk (typically a straight mirror of two disks).

I'm aware that the more recent Dell and HP servers come with on board SD slots and USB headers on the motherboard. I've had a play in a lab and the the concept of installing to a (for example) as 4GB SD card on the motherboard seems to work quite well.

I was just curious if any one has tried this in a production environment. I'm tempted to look at suggesting this for my next deployment but was wondering if there are any gotchas or other real world advice. General things that worry me are reliability (physical disks tend to be big failure point in my experience - are SD any better) and performance (I understand that once the hypervisor is loaded, IO of the boot volume doesn't really matter), I've also read that flash based media has a limited lifespan - especially for writes.

Basically, can anyone out there pass on the benfit of their experience! Smiley Happy

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think with SD the thing to watch is what type of SD to get as not all SDs are equal.

And the one thing about sd is that there is no raid 1/5 unlike hard drives so when the card goes, the host is gone.

Another thing is the scratch disk you would need to setup on a san somwhere.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos