VMware Cloud Community
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Info on Hyperthreading

I have 2 dell power edge R620 servers and installed ESXi 5.1 in it. I thought HT would be enabled by default in this server but after installing ESXi i saw it was not enabled. I enabled HT option after installaing the OS but in vSphere client HT option is still disabled. When i checked with Dell they told HT is enabled and there is no issues on hardware side may be you can reinstall ESXi and check, if not you will have to check with VMware support.

Can someone guide me on how to enable the HT?

Thanks

Bala

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LennieDH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Generally speaking Hyperthreading can be enabled in BIOS.

Usually it's in configuration tab, under CPU there's should be something similar to "Intel hyper-threading technology" which can be set Enabled/Disabled.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Paolo

If you find this information useful please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct".
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... but in vSphere client HT option is still disabled

Where do you see this? Please check on the hosts's "Summary" tab how many logical CPU's are available.

Btw. besides HT you may also want to ensure "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable Bit" are both enabled.

André

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

bala as a best practise by Vmware , keep it disabled. Smiley Happy

-AJ

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... as a best practise by Vmware , keep it disabled.

Interesting. Afaik it's the other way around, at least with Nehalem or newer CPUs.

André

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Andre, simple reason mentioned by VMware (as i heard in their training - design workshop) was that vmkernel with do all CPU scheduling and enabling HT just adds some overhead and doesn't do any value add to the performance. So all controls to be kept with vmkernel...

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At least according to http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Perf_Best_Practices_vSphere5.0.pdf (page 20 ff) it's recommended to enable Hyper-Threading.

For the best performance we recommend that you enable hyper-threading, ...

André

0 Kudos
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BIOS settings has been verified on hardware side. All options regarding HT are set and verified by Dell.

0 Kudos
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

I have attached snaps of the HT status which is displayed on vSphere client.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the Intel web site (http://ark.intel.com/products/64588/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2609-10M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-Q...) your CPU does not support HT.

André

0 Kudos
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. I was in the impression that HT is supported in this hardware. Even Dell Tech support told me HT is supported in this server. Anyways thanks again.

0 Kudos