VMware Cloud Community
varunt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I need to know if I can install Esxi on a unsupported hardware for Labs Testing !!!

I need to know if I can install Esxi on a unsupported hardware for Labs Testing !!!

The reason I am asking is because I want to plan to pick a hardware which would ideally be supported as per HCL, but my question rises if that hardware gets unsupported would I still be able to install and work on it for testing purpose only and for nothing else. Why am I asking this question I dont want to be in a position where I have a unsupported hardware for example and I dont want to see something like in the installer not support and not able to complete the intallation .

Hypothetical question : If the server is unsupported and I am installing the latest version of Esxi 6.0 latest update and if the installer gives a message unsupported installation ,

would i still be able to go through the installation and work as usual or will the installer stop the installation , I need to know this really specific. If anyone has some past experience please let me know . Is there any way to edit some installer or tweak or we do not need to do this as the installation will go through ????

Please let me know on this at the earliest as this will help in a big way .

Regards

Varun Turlapatti 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Up until now the esxi installer does not check if you're running HCL supported hardware.

You could run into problems like a NIC not being recognised if you do have unsupported hardware.

For example: in our lab environment we still have HPE G6 blade servers running with esxi 6.x and it is not supported.

As long as you don't need support and you're able to help yourself if you need to add a custom vib to support legacy hardware (like the nic not being recognised) you should be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Up until now the esxi installer does not check if you're running HCL supported hardware.

You could run into problems like a NIC not being recognised if you do have unsupported hardware.

For example: in our lab environment we still have HPE G6 blade servers running with esxi 6.x and it is not supported.

As long as you don't need support and you're able to help yourself if you need to add a custom vib to support legacy hardware (like the nic not being recognised) you should be fine.

0 Kudos