VMware Cloud Community
ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a database server connected to my vcenter server. Database server is a MIcrosoft SQL 2008 R2. I will be upgrading my vcenter server from 5.5 to 6.5 VCSA ? Will my older method to access the database change or will it remain same? Is there any metho

I have a database server connected to my vcenter server. Database server is a MIcrosoft SQL 2008 R2. I will be upgrading my vcenter server from 5.5 to 6.5 VCSA ? Will my older method to access the database change or will it remain same? Is there any method through which I can preserve my old way of accessing the database?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would like to know that if I migrate to vcsa will my database access get affected ?

Well, yeah, I just told you it would. There is no more SQL database to access so the answer is "yes".

Also i would like to know that since during migration we give new name to the vcsa will it retain all the properties and connections of the old vcenter server ?

The name will remain the same and all settings will be migrated over to the vCSA.

Will the third party services like PRTG and VEEAM backup cause any problem?

You will need to upgrade your third-party services such as Veeam to ensure they are compatible with vSphere 6.5, but otherwise they should continue to function. If in doubt, check with the vendor for their vSphere 6.5 support statement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, this database will be moved entirely to the internal vPostgres database of the appliance. There is no way to use an external SQL database with the vCSA nor do you need one.

0 Kudos
ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can I access the vCenter database if I migrate to postgresSQL?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By learning to use the vCenter API.

0 Kudos
ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

​I would like to know that if I migrate to vcsa will my database access get affected ?  Also i would like to know that since during migration we give new name to the vcsa will it retain all the properties and connections of the old vcenter server ? Will the third party services like PRTG and VEEAM backup cause any problem?

​Thank you

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would like to know that if I migrate to vcsa will my database access get affected ?

Well, yeah, I just told you it would. There is no more SQL database to access so the answer is "yes".

Also i would like to know that since during migration we give new name to the vcsa will it retain all the properties and connections of the old vcenter server ?

The name will remain the same and all settings will be migrated over to the vCSA.

Will the third party services like PRTG and VEEAM backup cause any problem?

You will need to upgrade your third-party services such as Veeam to ensure they are compatible with vSphere 6.5, but otherwise they should continue to function. If in doubt, check with the vendor for their vSphere 6.5 support statement.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To access vCenter server database follow the below article:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147285

But the recommended way is to use vSphere API:

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/03/a-kitten-dies-every-time-you-query-the-vcdb.html

0 Kudos