VMware Cloud Community
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to mount an ISO File

Guys,

I am fairly new to the VMWare environment so apologises in advance for what might seem basic questions.

I want to mount a  Windows 2008 ISO file in the VSphere client 4.1.

Now when I googled this it tells me to open a command prompt at the host and use the mount tool.

First question is I see a list of virtual machines built by a previous contractor who got taken of site for reasons which I will not go into.

When I do a right mouse click I see an open console for each virtual machine but what I want to do is mount a windows 2008 ISO file so I can build a new virtual machine.

I see a name and under that an icon called VMCluster and under that 3 servers and then under that all the virtual machines.

What I cant see is an option to go to the command prompt to mount the ISO file.

Can anyone please tellme how to do this ?

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you mean that you want to mount the ISO within a VM on a host?

If so, there are multiple ways to do it.

Easiest way to demonstrate would be: right clicking on the VM, select "Open Console", and then in the top bar look for the icon that appears to be a CD. Click on that icon, highlight the CD/DVD Drive, and select "Connect to ISO image on local disk"

An image is attached below to demonstrate.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you mean that you want to mount the ISO within a VM on a host?

If so, there are multiple ways to do it.

Easiest way to demonstrate would be: right clicking on the VM, select "Open Console", and then in the top bar look for the icon that appears to be a CD. Click on that icon, highlight the CD/DVD Drive, and select "Connect to ISO image on local disk"

An image is attached below to demonstrate.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Kuddy  your reply was very helpful.

I am slowly getting to grips with ESX VMWare when you power down a virtual machine. Under the CD icon

you get an option to select the host device it refers to

/vmfs/device/cdrom/mpx.vmhba0:c0:t0

Where exactly is this referring to ? is there a white paper that explains.

Thanks,

F

0 Kudos