VMware Cloud Community
anthonyforensic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to manage ESXi 4.0 without buying vSphere

I just installed ESXi 4.0 and went to the local ip. On the front page it states I must download vSphere to manage ESXi 4.0... Once vSphere was installed it states it is a 60 day trial... So is ESXi free, but to manage ESXi you must purchase vSphere? Am I missing something? How do I use ESXi 4.0 and manage ESXi 4.0 without shelling out thousands of dollars past the 60 days? Please do not post information about ESXi 3.5, because the server I am using is 64 bit. Any information or links to documentation would be GRRRREAT!!! Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

go to the configuration tab--licensed featurea and plug in the key you were sent when you downloaded ESXi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to manage your ESXi Host, you must download and install the vSphere Client. You will then point it to the IP/Hostname of your ESXi Host and log in. When you downloaded ESXi, you should have registered which means you will receive a s/n (key), which needs to be installed into your ESXi Host

Here are a few great resources

http://www.vm-help.com/

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vs_pages/vsp_pubs_esxi40_i_vc40.html

0 Kudos
anthonyforensic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Will you please review your answer. I did not ask how to login to the host, I did not ask how to put in the key to register the host... I asked how do I manage the host in ESXi 4 without purchasing vSphere.... When I registered I got a key for ESXi and NOT vSphere...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I stand by my answer

vSphere4 is the new release. Within that product name contains vCenter4, ESX4 and ESXi4. All components that make up vSphere

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you only have 1 ESXi host you don't need vSphere vCenter to manage it. You can use the vSphere vCenter Client for free to manage it and Troy described how to do it.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
bwbecraft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the fact that the vShpere window is telling him he is on an eval period it doesnt matter?

-BB

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

go to the configuration tab--licensed featurea and plug in the key you were sent when you downloaded ESXi.

0 Kudos
chicagom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to do the following.

We have ESX vSphere Enterprise running (4 ESX servers)

Now I want to start using 1 ESXi for our test servers (It is not need to be connected to our ESX servers)

My question, do I need a extra vSphere license to manage this ESXi server? (so that everything is legally correct)

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on the fact if he's using the full vCenter or just the client to do the managing.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
anthonyforensic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Chicagom,

Could you please start your own thread? Actually you might find you answer fast by starting your own thread with a relevant title.

0 Kudos
leopold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have 2 question around this:

- VMware VSphere Client is free to use (you just have to register with the key provided during the ESXi download) ? Correct ?

- I am trying to register the produt with this famous key... but when I go to VSphere Client > Inventory > Configuration tab, I have no input box to register the product... ?

Should I have to let ESXi 60days expired and only after this I will be able to access to the text box to input the key ?

Thank you for you help, much appreciated !

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Can we say that y using vMA we can manage ESXi 4 in Freeware mode ?

in case we do not need VMotion and those fancy stuff ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Can we say that by using vMA we can manage ESXi 4 in Freeware mode ?

in case we do not need VMotion and those fancy stuff ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
scon067a
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this topic seems old, but when looking at this post I realize that the answer for anybody who is asking this question today (like me) would have had an easier time if explained to the last detail.

Launch the your vSphere Client from your PC and attach to the Free vSphere Hypervisor Host machine you already installed.

Login with the credentials you gave when building the vSphere Host Hypervisor machine.

From the Home screen within the vSphere Client, double click the "Inventory Icon."Inventory.jpg

Select the "Configuration" tab on the top right....then "Licenced Features".....then select "Edit" on the far right.

You might have to pull the window over near the arrow to see the "Edit" link.

Configuration.jpg

Select the "Assign a new license key to this host" button, so the "Enter Key" becomes active.

Then paste in your License Key from where you downloaded the Hypervisor from VMware.

(If you forgot to save that info, login as your registered VMware ID and get it again from the VMware Website under your account)

License.jpg

In my screen shot, you can see where I already performed all the steps, where in your Client, you will only have the "Evaluation Mode" until you complete the actions too.

Hope this helps the next person!

Bill