VMware Cloud Community
freshmichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to create a mount point on esx host?

When I try to add a datastorage with NFS option, the prompt tell me "A mount point must be created on the host before it is added as a datastore".

2 questions:

1)How to create a mount point?

2)How can I know the NFS server is running well and can be mounted by the host?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sample export:

/vol/vol6/nfs_006 -sec=sys,rw=esx001:esx002,root=esx001:esx002, nosuid

The hostnames will need to resolve to the VMKernel interfaces that you are using for storage (DNS - otherwise specify IPs above)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The mount point is the name of the NFS "share".

Rember that you need also a vmkernel interface under your network configuration.

See page 98 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_server_config.pdf

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
freshmichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

===============

The mount point is on the host, not on the target machine?

eg, my esx host ip address is 3.199 and my NFS server ip address is 3.198. Then mount point should be on 3.199 NOT on 3.198, right?

If so, how to create it?

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You need to create the relevant volumes on the NFS store and export these in order to make them accesible by the ESX host.

Also, as stated above, you need a VMKernel port to actually read this.

What are you using for NFS?

0 Kudos
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

===============

The mount point is on the host, not on the target machine?

eg, my esx host ip address is 3.199 and my NFS server ip address is 3.198. Then mount point should be on 3.199 NOT on 3.198, right?

If so, how to create it?

The mount point is on the target machine and you have to enter the target machine's ip address.

In your examle this should be xx.xx.3.198 and /mynfsshare if you exported your nfs as "mynfsshare"

Daniel

---

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos
freshmichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have set the NFS share point as 3.198/public. But when I add a storage and set the path in 3.199(which is running esx server), input server as 3.198, folder as "/public", click "Mount NFS read only" checkbox,

But the prompt popup:"......NFS error: Unable to Mount filesystem. The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it"

And I can access the /public in 3.198 with another windows machine, so I think the NFS server is ok. Which caused the error is the esx server, maybe I forget to configure sth. in it.

Can you tell me how to fix it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sample export:

/vol/vol6/nfs_006 -sec=sys,rw=esx001:esx002,root=esx001:esx002, nosuid

The hostnames will need to resolve to the VMKernel interfaces that you are using for storage (DNS - otherwise specify IPs above)

0 Kudos
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And I can access the /public in 3.198 with another windows machine, so I think the NFS server is ok. Which caused the error is the esx server, maybe I forget to configure sth. in it.

What's your NFS-Server, OS, Version, used NFS-Protocol?

Daniel

---

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos