VMware Cloud Community
JDReal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to configure vcenter 6.7 using oracle database insted of embedded database?

Hello all,

I have installed a vcenter 6.7 , now I want to change it's database to oracle. What should I do?

I have done this in vcenter 5.5, by login to http://vcenter_ip:5480 (VMware vCenter Server Appliance).In this page I can change the database from embedded to a oracle database.But in vcenter 6.7, I can not find a way to do this.

QQ截图20201112184119.png

I have read the office doc ( https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vcenter.install.doc/GUID-592AFD76-A85E-46FE... ) about using oracle, but in my environment I cant use ODBC ,it not works for me.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JDReal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a way to work out my problem:

Install oracle database on a centos server, and install vcenter service 6.7(rather than vcenter service application 6.7) on a windows server 2012.With a ODBC on the windows server,the vcenter service can successfully connect to the oracle database.

This approach works.Thanks all the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't, it doesn't support external databases any longer. That's good thing.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Since vSphere 6.5 vSphere only uses vPostgress and nothing more than vPostgress. 

0 Kudos
JDReal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a way to work out my problem:

Install oracle database on a centos server, and install vcenter service 6.7(rather than vcenter service application 6.7) on a windows server 2012.With a ODBC on the windows server,the vcenter service can successfully connect to the oracle database.

This approach works.Thanks all the same.

0 Kudos
JDReal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a way to work out my problem.Thanks all the same.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Please note this is not supported by VMware and if you were to need support from GSS you won't get it since your implementation is outside support.