VMware Cloud Community
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to configure networking on new system 2 hosts

Hi,

Im new to configuring network in ESX, and I was wondering if this configuration is ok for production.

We have 2 physical servers with each 6x1GB nic. The virtual machines are on a fiber san that is connected directly to the HBA on the servers

Could I configure the network like this....

Management                           2x1GB (Team)

Virtual Machines Traffic          2x1GB (Team)

Vmotion                                  2x1GB (Team)

Should i create 3 virtual Standard Switches within ESX....

Connection Type: Virtual Machine (configure this for Virtual Machines Traffic)
Connection Type: VMKernel (configure this for Vmotion)
Connection Type: VMKernel (configure this for Management)

Is there something im missing or is this a good solution ? Should i configure each network on a seperate VLAN?

Thanks for reply.

/R

Andreas

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Separate vlans are definitely "best practice"

3 vSwitches are fine, and I set the nics to active-active.  I think the default comes up active-standby

vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, if you want, you can use the same vSwitch for VMotion and MGMT, and then configure LACP or Etherchannel in order to obtain 2Gbps for VM Traffic.

About the vlan questions, you can use multiple vlans (trunk) in the same uplink, this is good for consolidation Smiley Wink

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually you need both different VLAN and etherchannel to obtai your bandwidth.

0 Kudos
kiraa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The easiest / simplest way would be to have it setup like you currently do.

3 different vSwitch's and configure nic teaming. I would configure VLAN's aswell for best practice / to divide the network traffic apart properly.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Connect to Two Host-Only Interfaces

1. Create the virtual machine using the New Virtual Machine Wizard or use an existing virtual machine.

2. Launch VMware Workstation and open the virtual machine.

3. Edit the configuration using the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings).

Select the first network adapter in the list of devices, then choose Host-only (VMnet1) from the drop-down list on the right. Select the second network adapter in the list of devices, then choose Custom (VMnet2) from the drop-down list on the right.

If you need to add one or more network adapters, click Add, then use the Add Hardware Wizard to add an adapter.

0 Kudos