VMware Cloud Community
ubersol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to check which database is used by VMware Virtual Center?

Hi,

I recently inherited a small environment and I was asked to upgrade ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0. I am not a database person but how can I check what database is being used by VMware Virtual Center? According to the upgrade guide the MSDE database is not supported in ESX 4.0.

I just want to make sure that We have not been using this database. I looked in ODBC Data Source Administrator. From the system DSN, I saw that the drivers for both Vmware Update Manager and Vmware Virtual Center are "SQL Native Client". Also from the registery editor, I looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->VMWARE,INC->VMware Virtual Center->DB. The data next to "1" is set to "Vmware VirtualCenter" and "4" is set to "SQL Native Client".

So, how can I determine if the database being used is not MSDE?

Sorry for the silly question but I don't deal that much with databases...

Thank you.

Den..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> So, how can I determine if the database being used is not MSDE?

MSDE does not use remote databases. open ODBC, click on system DSN, click on configure. The database listed is the one that it's using, and if this is the name you used for virtual center, that's the database in use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> So, how can I determine if the database being used is not MSDE?

MSDE does not use remote databases. open ODBC, click on system DSN, click on configure. The database listed is the one that it's using, and if this is the name you used for virtual center, that's the database in use.

0 Kudos
ubersol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. That did it. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and the name is set to VMware VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome back Mr. Parker!

0 Kudos