VMware Cloud Community
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

How to bypass sso login in vcenter 6.5 using CLI

Hi,

I have upgrade vCenter 5.5  to 6.5 successfully , I am facing issue while opening the vsphere web client GUI

When try to open GUI using  below URL it is being redirected to other URL

https://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/vsphere-client/   is redirecting to   https://localhost.localdom/websso/SAML2/SSOSSL?RelyingPartyEntityId=aHR0cHM6Ly8xOTIuMTY4LjEzNC4yNDgv...

How I can disable this behaviour and login using IP not FQDN.

Thanks for the support

0 Kudos
10 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're getting that then your vCenter is not set up properly. It should be deployed using FQDN and so therefore the hostname should be set. If it's showing localhost.localdom, then one of those two things isn't set properly. Check the VAMI (if this is vCSA) to ensure the network is set properly.

0 Kudos
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

@daphnissov thanks for the reply.

I am sure you are referring vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface ( VMAI) ,  I am able to open and login UI using URL https://<IP>:5480. I am able to do SSH in vCenter. Thats is why I am looking for Cli option.  Another thing I want to add that I am working in LAB environment, so setting FQDN will not serve the purpose as it will be not resolved.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

In order for the vCSA to function properly, even in a lab environment, you need DNS. Installing by IP only is highly problematic. If you do not have DNS and cannot therefore resolve names, your first order of duty should be to bring up a small DNS server for this purpose.

0 Kudos
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

After setting DNS, is there any way I can assign FQDN or I need to reinstall the vCenter? Pls Keep in mind that I have upgraded it from 5.5.

Thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If it wasn't initially installed via FQDN and assigned a hostname, you will need to redeploy it. Keep in mind that you should always deploy vCSA using a hostname with static IP and FQDN. Not doing so will give you bad times in the future in many different ways.

0 Kudos
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply.

I checked FQDN localhost.localdom is coming from vCenter 5.5 configuration during migration. I remember we don't provide FQDN ( incase we need to give new FQDN) in migration steps. Even I redeploy  this vCenter It will be same situation.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure why you would need to give it a new FQDN because that's not common. In any case, that's how it's supposed to work. If you have special circumstances in your environment where you're changing all sorts of things regularly, you'll just have to expect some software is not going to tolerate that well.

0 Kudos
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

Actually My scenario is, vCenter 5.5 has hostname/FQDN "localhost.localdom", I think it was left default during 5.5 deployment. Suppose I'll upgrade to 6.5 then FQDN will not change, localhost.localdom will set for 6.5 as well. So I have only choice to make entry in Local DNS for localhost.localdom.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you didn't set the hostname properly in vCenter 5.5, then it carries over in 6.5. Since that's not a valid hostname, your only option is to redeploy a fresh 6.5 appliance and do it correctly using a valid hostname that supports forward and reverse DNS lookups.

0 Kudos
aloksinghk
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the answer, it concluded for me.

0 Kudos