VMware Cloud Community
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do I to seperate this iSCSI traffic?

How do I seperate this iSCSI traffic to the 10.8.. range as when i runs a scan it finds both 10.10.. and1 0.8..

8931_8931.jpg

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stu

Can you please let us have a little more info. I guess that you are intending that iSCSI traffic runs on the VMkernel2 port group? if that's that case how is your network segmented? Are the 10.10 and 10.8 networks configured as VLANS (i'm guessing not as there is no vlan displayed on the pg) or different physical switches? Also can you please advise what your subnet mask is please...

Sorry it's all questions and no answers, i'm sure with more info, someone will be able to help. 😃

Cheers

Adam

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thats correct 10.8.. is a VLAN'ed address and it's a class B network. The problem is that the vmkernal port on on the 1st switch is on the 10.10.. netork and as there is more than one network card it try's to push traffic on that network as well as 10.8... They are all on the same phical switch, Cisco 4948. Hope that makes sense.

I think I may of solved this problem though. I think it could be a problem of using dynamic discovery of static discover. hmm......

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh, good that you're on the way to getting it sorted... 😃 However, using a dynamic target should be fine as you specify the address of the iSCSI server and all that is dynamically assigned is the actual target. The address of the target server should determine which network is used for the iSCSI traffic, and if all is configured correctly that should be VMkernel 2. Hope that makes sense. 😃

One thing i did notice, is one of the adapters on vSwitch3 only a 100mbps? Is that right? if so, i'd suggest not using that for iSCSI traffic.. performance won't be that good at all

Please let me know how you get on

Adam

Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good spot. I'll make sure that the 100 MB connection is changed to 1000 MB.

the problem is that the dynamic discovery is fine iSCSi targets on the 10.8.. subnet and the 10.10.. subnet when I only want it using 10.8.. and not both. I think the solution to this is to use static discoveries instead.

Thanks for you advise!

0 Kudos