VMware Cloud Community
c7320
Contributor
Contributor

Having extemem difficulties with root password

I have installed ESX 4.0 5 times in a row. During the install it asks me to provide a password for the root user. I do and I confirm it and when the install is finished i cannot log into to console as root with the password I specified. I cant log in thru the VC client either. I am stumped. Do I need to create another account and su to root? I cant find anything in the Docs and I dont know what I could possible be doing wrong.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Are you using the correct keyboard layout? Maybe it was set to US during install and is set to another layout on your client? Thats a pretty common issue.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
c7320
Contributor
Contributor

It was set to US. I cant even log in at the console or with putty either. Just get access denied. Even had people stand there and watch me correctly type in the password during the install its the strangist thing. How do you tell the VC Client to use US keyboard do you know off hand? All I get with the client is a logon screen right now..

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

You will need to set it in your windows settings and then change it.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
c7320
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks will give that a whirl. Appreciate your help

Michael.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

If you set this up over ilo / drac, or even logged on locall with a different keyboard, it is very possible that you have used different characters without noticing.

Connect over ILO / DRAC again and type your password so you can see it in clear text - make sure that you see what you expect to see. If not . . either correct it, or use this as your password

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
c7320
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone it was the keyboard layout

Michael

0 Kudos