VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA reconfigure after 5.1 to 5.1U1

In poking around with some test systems after going from 5.1 to 5.1U1, I noticed the HA vib did not get updated until I did a reconfigure HA from a 5.1U1 vcenter. Is this required to be done, or is the new vib version simply cosmetic. Just am not sure after a cluster is totally moved from 5.1 to 5.1U1, that you need to reconfigure all the hosts for HA in order to get some HA patches pushed from vcenter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes there are couple of fixes introduced in vCenter 5.1 U1 due to which you might need to reconfigure HA for the new package to be applied when HA is already on.

vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FDM is running without vCenter action required. Theoretically you can configure it once and then turn off vCenter, until you need to reconfigure it again.

So as long as the hosts don't need to talk to vCenter for HA configuration settings they are not aware of the new package.

If this is purely cosmetic or not depends on the actual fixes contained in the new VIBs, if nothing was changed it does not matter but a read through the release notes should clarify this for your environment.

jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thankyou,,,so if something in the release notes changed that I do need, it appears to get the new HA would be to reconfigure the host for HA--which then is my understanding pushes the new vib to the host.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes there are couple of fixes introduced in vCenter 5.1 U1 due to which you might need to reconfigure HA for the new package to be applied when HA is already on.

vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Aakash. Since we upgarde Vcenter from 5.1 to U1 first. Should I reconfigure HA right after vCenter upgrade? or wait until all my hosts have been upgraded from 5.1 to 5.1 U1 as well? thanks,,,

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually after the the vcenter upgrade from 5.1 to U1b, all my hosts were in a disconnected state due to some HA strangeness--maybe imcompatible. So I had to disable HA on the clusters, and then reconnect the hosts. I will enable HA later today after I get all my hosts reconnected. Just and fyi,,,thanks

0 Kudos