VMware Cloud Community
stevev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA Problem after upgrading to vSphere 4.1

Hi everyone....

I have a problem with HA after upgrading from ESX 3.5 to vSphere 4.1.

HA does not work anymore.

I received a lot of error messages like:

HA agent has an error : cmd addnode failed for primary node: Internal AAM Error - agent could not start. : Unknown HA error

Cannot complete the HA configuration error

Time-out while communicating with the HA agent error

Someone can help me with that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure DNS resolves the Host names and vCenter from each hosts and vCenter. I don't have a large number of hosts so I use host files on all the hosts and vCenter to make sure they resolve whether DNS is running or not. Make sure names match Upper/ Lower case. Once you are sure the names resolve and you can see each host and vCenter from each of the machines involved try removing the hosts from the cluster and adding them back again.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure DNS resolves the Host names and vCenter from each hosts and vCenter. I don't have a large number of hosts so I use host files on all the hosts and vCenter to make sure they resolve whether DNS is running or not. Make sure names match Upper/ Lower case. Once you are sure the names resolve and you can see each host and vCenter from each of the machines involved try removing the hosts from the cluster and adding them back again.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As it has already been stated DNS plays a big role in the setup of HA. Here is a KB article for troubleshooting HA issues. It contains a lot of good links of things to verify

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001596

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

stevev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all....

I found the solution with your post.

I have to add on the /etc/hosts file each DNS entry for all my vSphere 4.1 servers and my Vritual Center.

After that, I was be able to do the option : Reconfigure to VMware HA wihtout problem.

Thanks a lot again to all of you for your help and yours quick answers.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Great glad you are up and running. The one problem with creating entries in a host file is that you must make sure they are kept up to date.

0 Kudos