VMware Cloud Community
CLPRSN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Giving VMs Static IPs nad assigning them to dedicated Ethernet ports.

We used vmware convertor to import one of our physical servers into Vmware.  We got it up and running and have installed VMtools on it.  Our vmware server has six ethernet ports.  We would like to assign this server to a dedicated port if possible, but the main problem we are having now is assigning it a static IP address.   We did so through windows and our network access went from local and internet to local only.  When we have it automatically attain a IP address it works fine.  We need the box to have a static IP.  Any help would be appreciated,  I googled for a few hours with no results and have searched the discussions in this forum for Static IP as well.  We are running VMWare ESXi 5.1 with Vsphere 5.1.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that all manually IP settings are correct, i.e. IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, DNS server address(es)?

If you have trouble finding the proper settings, set the VM to DHCP and run ipconfig /all to find out about the required values.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

HI,

So when you assign a Static IP the machine is not able to connect to internet? Have you checked the firewall and tried disabling it? The static IP that you are assigning, does it belong to the subnet which has access to internet?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that all manually IP settings are correct, i.e. IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, DNS server address(es)?

If you have trouble finding the proper settings, set the VM to DHCP and run ipconfig /all to find out about the required values.

André

0 Kudos
CLPRSN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hah, Apparently the gateway got reset and was the reason that it wasn't working just readded the gateway and it worked.  Thanks guys!

0 Kudos