VMware Cloud Community
Tokoloshe
Contributor
Contributor

Get a Weasel Exception when installing ESX4.0/4.0U1 on Dell Workstation 690

I've wiped my ESX3.5 test box to install ESX4.0, but it consistently fails at 54% (260 of 338 i think).

Debugging gives a Weasel Exception: /usr/lib/vmware/weasel/gui/installation_gui.py line 73, in installsystem applychoices.doit(self.context).

This box isn't on the HCL, but is essentially a desktop version of the Dell PE 2950 which is (The h/w platform is 2 x Xeon 5170, 4 x 146GB SAS 15k, 16GB RAM, onboard NIC).

Tried so far;

- Text only install

- Upgraded BIOS to latest version

- Changed install disk

- Left disk layout as 'basic'

- Tried 4.0 U1 instead of 4.0

- Left network on DHCP

Guess a 4.0i install, or a rollback to 3.5 and in-place upgrade are the next things to try, but wondered if anyone has seen this before?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the traceback?

0 Kudos
Tokoloshe
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried installing ESX 4.0 U1 again on the same box, though within VM Workstation 6.5.3 (on Win7 64 bit) using the xtravirt.com guidance - and got the same error...

ScreenDump of traceback is attached as an RTF.

Bear in mind that this error is consistent across 4.0 and 4.0 U1 ISO downloads, which rules out a simple media problem.

0 Kudos
Tokoloshe
Contributor
Contributor

And here's the VMX too...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From the traceback it looks like there was a problem unpacking the RPM. If you hit 'l' in the debugger there is a comment in the code which says:

#TODO: expand on the message of this error saying that there is a

1. problem with the local storage that the user is installing onto

1. or the CD that they burned is likely scratched / bad

I guess I should have elaborated on the error when I was writing the code. 😄 Check the ISO you downloaded and/or check the drive you're installing to.

0 Kudos