VMware Cloud Community
mlvaldivia
Contributor
Contributor

First ever!! ESX installation need an experts advice regarding IP setup

I am installing a new ESX server....1st one in our environment. We have an existing Dell Equalogic SAN setup and that is in the 192.168...internal network numbering scheme because Dell said it had to be on it's own network. We use the 10.100.10 network for everything else. SOOO , I am bringing up my first of three ESX servers without Dell's help becuase I couldn't afford it so I am not sure if I give the ESX host a 192. 168 number and share the dell switch that the SAN is on or give it a 10.100 number that the rest of our internal network runs on??? Any ideas would be appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep your storage traffic on it's own network & your ESX management traffic on a separate network. Also create separate vSwitch(es) for your virtual machines.

BTW - welcome to ESX. There is a lot to learn but it does make things easier.

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

It depends by how many NIC do you have on your ESX server.

You have, if possible, to separate different traffic, but also you have to consider availability and, if possible, have redundancy for each link (that means 2 NIC for each vSwitch).

If you have 4 NICs you can create 2 vSwitches, one dedicated to iSCSI traffic (and use also 2 dedicated physical switches, if possible) and one for other kind of traffic.

For basic conceps see also:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK,

Since your question is in vSphere section, I am assuming you are installing ESX4.

in ESX 4 iSCSI is much easier to setup, since you don't need Service console for your ISCSI communication.

Plan ahead of time: (Names and IP addresses)

You will have different Networks: Service Console, iSCSI, VMotion, Fault Tollerance, NFS

It depends how do you want to implement your Network. You have to find a balance between Performance, Security and Availability.

For example for Security Reasons you have to Put Service console in a different Network from your LAN. Same as VMotion (No encryption while transfering the files).

For Performance and Security reasons you have to put iSCSI communication on a different LAN. (Redaundant and reliable Network)

But now let's keep it simple, Since this is your first post, I will assume you are new and you want to try (Demo) first and then after you get more familiar, clear everything and re create everything again.

Now lets assume you have the following: ( I will put Service Sonsole on your LAN Network)

Name: ESX1 IP addres: 10.100.10.50

Name: ESX2 IP addres: 10.100.10.60

Name: ESX3 IP addres: 10.100.10.70

go to your DNS first and create this IP Addresses, these will be your Service Console IP Address.

Start installing your ESX Server with these IP Addresses. After you are done. If you have vCenter Server go ahead and install that as well. if not Point your web browser to the IP Address of one of your esx Server and install vSphere Client.

(Without vCenter) Point your vSphere Client to the ip address of one of your ESX Server and login to each ESX Server (root username and password)

(With vCentert) Point your vSphere Client to the ip address of your vCenter and login (windows login) to vCenter.

Go ahead and create a vswitch and Port group for your iSCSI communication (in the Range of 192.168.x.x )

I hope you have at least one dedicated switch different from your LAN switch, if so go ahead and connect two NIC cards (physical NIC on your ESX Server) to your Swtich that has connection to your Equallogic SAN and add those two NIC to your iSCSI vSwitch.

Connect your Equallogic SAN to this switch as well.

Configure each of your ESX Server firewall to accept Software iSCSI.

You should be good now.

Check Equallogic's website for some documentation, Also look for VMware Video Trainings and go over them. There is a lot to learn.

Have fun,

Ernest

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ernestsaadat
0 Kudos
mlvaldivia
Contributor
Contributor

thank you all for your words of wisdom...so far it seems like I am on the right track.....we have four physical nics on each of three esx servers and we did dedicated two of them on the first install to the SAN and created the vswitch a nd connected the (2) nics to the vswitch.We still have two esx installations to go. ON the second and third ESX servers am I going to do the same ? Can the vswitch be named the same as the one on ESX1 or does it have to be a different name?

One vswitch per ESX server is enough right? We are a fairly small shop so I guessed one vswitch per host would work.

thanks for all you input,

Maria

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You want to set your hosts up as identically as you can so that if/when you move a VM to another host you don't have to worry about whether the VLANs are there. It is also a good idea to keep the hosts at the same ESX level.

One vSwitch should be enough for you but if you can add a second physical NIC to it for redundancy.

0 Kudos