VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First 4.0 Host help needed

I currntly have a 3.5 unfrastructure with 2 nost and i just installed 4.0 on a 3rd host and added it to vCenter. I have a few questions related to storage that i need a push on. I didn't install the first 2 hosts so i am a bit green. I have all the HBA information correct (went by the other hosts i have in the cluster), can ping the hba's, can scan the hba's, but when i try to add storage nothing shows up. Really not sure which direction to go at this point. Any hlep is appreciated. Thanks

Perry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is your iSCSI storage?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iSCSI of Fiber Channel storage?

In both case, but in different ways, you need to tell the storage to grant access to the HBAs.

jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, are you saying that you haven't upgraded your VirtualCenter server to vSphere yet? I thought that if VirtualCenter was upgraded, that it wouldn't allow a 4.0 host to be added, but I haven't actually tried it because it is NOT SUPPORTED. If VirtualCenter has not been upgraded the first step is to upgrade VirtualCenter otherwise results will be unpredictable.

For details on what order you need to upgrade things in (VirtualCenter first, then ESX, then VMs) and upgrade procedures reference:

prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is iSCSI and vcenter has been upgraded to 4.0. Everything in vcenter looks good but still can't see anything on the storeage array. Not sure what i'm missing.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is your iSCSI storage?

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IBM N3600 aka Netapp2050

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it appears that things are working now. I didn't have the iqn name in the initiator goup on the storage. Thanks for teh assistance.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does this make sense to you now? Only asking because of your green comment Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It does make sense to me. As green as i am i didn't realize the storage needed setup. It all looks good and i have learned a lot so far. But i'm not finished yet!! Thanks for all the assistance.

0 Kudos