VMware Cloud Community
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to upgrade Fujitsu ESXi from 6.5 to 6.7U3

Hi there,

I've tried to upgrade an Fujitsu ESXi from 6.5 to 6.7U3 (I've downloaded the custom image from vmware), I've choosen "Upgrade" and than the system scan started. I got a error message back (I unfortunately didn't took a photo of it) that there are some issue with the upgrade proccess  so I rebootet the system and wanted to start the upgrade again.

But from there I can't choose between "install" or "upgrade" I only get a message from the system which is:

"Confirm Disk Selection

You have selected a disk that contains at least one partition with existing data.
If you continue the selected disk will be overwritten."

Has anybody an idea what problem I have here?
Do you need further informations? Please hit me up for that

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ne0_ 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Upgrade & Install Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Without knowing what exactly happened, on can just guess.
One question in advance: Did you verify whether the server model, and components (RAID controller, network adapters, ...) are supported with ESXi 6.7?

What you may want to check - if the host still boots into ESXi - are the contents of the two bootbank partitions, i.e. run ls /bootbank and ls /altbootbank. If one of them is completely empty, copy the contents of the other one to it.

André

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The usual thing that you see in some updates of versions 6. X is the message that the CPU may not be supported in the next version.
Another case is that the disk controller or RAID configuration (if any) is not supported in the new version, so you will only see the disks individually, in this case it is not recommended to continue because we can damage the old installation.

Verify that all host hardware, including the controller of disk, is supported by VMware (compatibility matrix)

VMware Compatibility Guide

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Best of luck.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answer.

I'll check if the components are supported with ESXi 6.7 - Thank you for that.

The host is still booting into ESXi so there was no dataloss or something like that. In /bootbank there are much entrys in /altbootbank there is only one entry "imgdb.tgz" - do you think it will work if i copy /bootbank to /altbookbank?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answer.

I'll check this.

0 Kudos
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I checked if the components are supported in 6.7 with your link.

So if I filled in everything correctly the host should be supported in 6.7

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
At this point in the problem more details of your environment are required:
What is the exact version of 6.5 (indicate build)?
Which exact version of 6.7 will you use (indicate build)?
What disk controller you have, all the details (brand model ..etc)?
What disk configuration you have, all details (Type of disks, Raid ...etc) ?

You could try again to upgrade to version 6.7 capturing all the screens that are shown and only get to where you should choose the disk and not continue with the upgrade.

You can indicate what size is the disk or datastore where VMware vSphere (ESXi) is installed, how much space is used and what space is free.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Current:

ESXi: 6.5.0

Build: 5969303

Fujitsu Customized Image v410-1

Update:

ESXi: 6.7.0

Build: 14320388

Fujitsu Customized Image v480-1

Controller:

LSI-Adapter SAS 3000 Series 8-port with 1068

Diskconfig:

Raid 5

all Disks are Toshiba AL14SEB03EN

Do you need more informations or is this enough?

Regards

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
According to the indicated builds :
version 6.5 Update 1 current
version 6.7 Update 3 update
Right between these versions a problem is reported. Attached is a link to the update path and the VMware KB.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php#upgrade&solution=1

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76555

You can try first upgrading the old host from 6.5 Update 1 to version 6.5 Update 2C (Build 9298722) and then to the version you need.
Version 6.5 Update 2C can be downloaded from My VMware.
Fujitsu's installed base is maintained when VMware updates or proprietary fixes are installed.

Please capture the screenshots when you upgrade from 6.5 U2C to 6.7 U3. and stop if you have problems.
you have to choose the update option and preserve the filesystem

you have not answered the last question

You can indicate what size is the disk or datastore where VMware vSphere (ESXi) is installed, how much space is used and what space is free.?

You may also have problems if you do not have enough free space to install the update or fixes.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
ne0_
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I checked my logs, I can only find these entrys:

2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 468, in <module>
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: main()
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 459, in main
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: ret = CMDTABLE[command](options)
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 322, in VibGetCmd
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: m = vibs.FindVibsByColonSpec(nameid, onevendor=False)
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: File "/build/mts/release/bora-5969303/bora/build/esx/release/vmvisor/sys-boot/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/vmware/esximage/VibCollection.py", line 367, in FindVibsByColonSpec
2020-12-04T14:44:58Z esxupdate: 67505: root: ERROR: vmware.esximage.Errors.NoMatchError: ('', "No VIB matching VIB search specification 'pci-fujitsu-hti'.")

So do I there are no logs like the ones who show in the link. I will put the "pci-fujitsu-hti" to my ISO an retry the update.
0 Kudos
emre20
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

using this address https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php  Can you check server compatibility

Tags (1)
0 Kudos