VMware Cloud Community
AlexSobolev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

External PSC upgrade error 6.0 -> 6.5 - Installer can't determine source PSC/SSO version

Hi Colleagues,

I'm trying to update my infrastructure from 6.0 to 6.5.

I have the latest build (5202501) of external PSC 6.0:

PSC_version.png

External PSC health is Good. Auth is working fine, i don't see anomalies in PSC functionality:

PSC_health.png

I'm filling in all required source information about PSC and source vCenter/ESXi:

pastedImage_2.png

But installer can't determine version of source appliance:

pastedImage_3.png

Any ideas why is it happening happening and how to solve it?  May be i should change something in source appliance.

I tried to continue installation, but anyway it's failed as source version is incorrect.

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Based on your screenshots I see that you are trying to do a "back-in-time-upgrade".

You are trying to upgrade from vSphere 6.0 Update 3 to vSphere 6.5.

6.5 was released before vSphere 6.0 Update 3 came out, so vSphere 6.5 does not "know" 6.0 Update 3.

I see two options for you:

- Wait for vSphere 6.5 Update 1 (which will be able to upgrade your current 6.0 Update 3 PSC)

- Deploy a new instance of the PSC 6.5 appliance and then join the same SSO Domain, join your AD, repoint the vCenter Servers to the new PSC and retire the 6.0 Update 3 PSC

Edit:

This is mentioned in the release notes of vSphere 6.0 Update 3: VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 3 Release Notes

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.26.58.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Based on your screenshots I see that you are trying to do a "back-in-time-upgrade".

You are trying to upgrade from vSphere 6.0 Update 3 to vSphere 6.5.

6.5 was released before vSphere 6.0 Update 3 came out, so vSphere 6.5 does not "know" 6.0 Update 3.

I see two options for you:

- Wait for vSphere 6.5 Update 1 (which will be able to upgrade your current 6.0 Update 3 PSC)

- Deploy a new instance of the PSC 6.5 appliance and then join the same SSO Domain, join your AD, repoint the vCenter Servers to the new PSC and retire the 6.0 Update 3 PSC

Edit:

This is mentioned in the release notes of vSphere 6.0 Update 3: VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 3 Release Notes

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.26.58.png

AlexSobolev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!

I will wait for 6.5 U1 and try to upgrade again.

0 Kudos
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
soehl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With vSphere 6.5u1 still an issue, exactly the same "error"-message. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
FabianRecretix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi soehl,

The problem is that the root password of the Appliance is expired.

See Upgrading vCenter Server Appliance from 6.0 to 6.5 results in an error: "Unable to detect appliance ...

Best Regards,

Fabian

0 Kudos