VMware Cloud Community
Mohan201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extending RDM and how to view LUNID of RDM?

Hi All,

I'm planning to expand a RDM which is already presented to VM. From SAN, they are able to see the LUN ID.

But im not able to see that LUN ID in any views... such as going to datastore view as well as from storage adapters view. I can see that file is in the VMFS datastore which i beleive is just a reference file. Is there any way to see the LUNID's of RDM disks.?

I saw the article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100702... and planning to just re-scan the storageadapters before i follow them.. is that correct? anything else i shud be aware of?

Please help...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The way I normally do it is with Physical RDM's :

Have a look at the VM -> Edit Settings, find the disk you want to extend -> Click Manage paths

In the lower part there is a "Name" when you mouse over it, it will show you more Smiley Wink  like naa.************"15A1". It's also in the top of the window you opened with "manage paths"

Then click on the ESX host where the VM is located -> Configuration -> Storage Adapters -> Select  a HBA

And you'll see all the LUN's provided. Search the name you wrote down earlier and use that one for your SAN administrators to extend that specific LUN.

After it's extended on the SAN side, do a rescan of all the hosts that see the storage, after the rescan is complete you should see in that the disk size has been extended.

Now it's only a part to extend it in the OS. Windows mostly "Rescan" -> extend trough diskmanager or use diskpart/extpart.

Hope this will help you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the vSphere client, go to Home - Inventory - Datastores. Select a datastore - Choose 'Manage Paths'

You can see the LUN ID in the LUN colomn.

You should bear in mind wether you use physical / virtual RDMs. It requires a different approach as mentioned in the vmware kb. Physical mode requires a OS which can expand disks online.

Write down the SCSI ID.

You may want to rethink the use of RDMs. You don't want to do this for performance reasons. There are many references on the internet proving this.

Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The way I normally do it is with Physical RDM's :

Have a look at the VM -> Edit Settings, find the disk you want to extend -> Click Manage paths

In the lower part there is a "Name" when you mouse over it, it will show you more Smiley Wink  like naa.************"15A1". It's also in the top of the window you opened with "manage paths"

Then click on the ESX host where the VM is located -> Configuration -> Storage Adapters -> Select  a HBA

And you'll see all the LUN's provided. Search the name you wrote down earlier and use that one for your SAN administrators to extend that specific LUN.

After it's extended on the SAN side, do a rescan of all the hosts that see the storage, after the rescan is complete you should see in that the disk size has been extended.

Now it's only a part to extend it in the OS. Windows mostly "Rescan" -> extend trough diskmanager or use diskpart/extpart.

Hope this will help you.

0 Kudos
Mohan201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks to both of you.. Smiley Happy

I did not notice that manage paths in that mapped raw lun disk. I followed the article it was extended without anyissues...

Thanks for all ur help again..Just to add,whne there is no free space available on LUN, when u try to add a RDM disk Raw device mappings would be disabled..Its nothing to worry about,once the LUN is extended from SAN side,,if we do a refresh then we will get that option..

0 Kudos