VMware Cloud Community
hardshah4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Evaluation License

Hi All,

I have a ESXi server, and needs a evaluation license.

I got a link to get evaluation license, but didnt find option where to download license. Please refer attached diagram.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How To Reset ESXi Trial License (Refer esxi.oeey.com/2013/11/how-to-reset-esxi-trial-license.html)

WARNING: This is for education/informational testing/development purposes only, and should not be used on a production server.

WARNING: This trick will only work with an ESX(i) stand alone server.  It will not work if the ESX(i) server is connected to a vCenter Server, as the vCenter Server knows better than to let you do this.  (you can always remove and readd the ESX(i) server to vCenter.)

To reset your ESX 4.x, ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.x 60 day evaluation license:

1. Login to the TSM through SSH or Shell
  2. Remove the following two files:
    1. /etc/vmware/vmware.lic
    2. /etc/vmware/license.cfg
  3. Reboot server

If your ESX server is connected to a vCenter server, please remove the ESX server first.  Once the steps above are completed, you can add it back to the vCenter server.

Sample commands:

rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg reboot

For ESXi 5.1 and ESXi 5.5, you may need to continually remove the license files as the server reboots for this to work.  The following should do this quite nicely:

rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg reboot ; while true ; do rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg done

An alternative shows that restarting the services should works just as well as rebooting the server:

# For ESXi 5.0 rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg services.sh restart
# For ESXi 5.1 rm -r /etc/vmware/license.cfg cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg /etc/init.d/vpxa restart

The alternative also shows a method for resetting the trial license while connected to vCenter server.  I still think removing and re-adding the ESXi server is cleaner.

Thanks Sakthivel R

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no need for a license key. vSphere defaults to a 60 days evalualtion mode after installation. André

0 Kudos
akblpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can install any vSphere components without any licence and it will be install as evaluation and you can use that component.

So you can install ESXi and it will automatically install in evaluation mode.

0 Kudos
hardshah4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks alot, but its already been 60 days, should I re-install esxi ? is this the only option..

0 Kudos
sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How To Reset ESXi Trial License (Refer esxi.oeey.com/2013/11/how-to-reset-esxi-trial-license.html)

WARNING: This is for education/informational testing/development purposes only, and should not be used on a production server.

WARNING: This trick will only work with an ESX(i) stand alone server.  It will not work if the ESX(i) server is connected to a vCenter Server, as the vCenter Server knows better than to let you do this.  (you can always remove and readd the ESX(i) server to vCenter.)

To reset your ESX 4.x, ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.x 60 day evaluation license:

1. Login to the TSM through SSH or Shell
  2. Remove the following two files:
    1. /etc/vmware/vmware.lic
    2. /etc/vmware/license.cfg
  3. Reboot server

If your ESX server is connected to a vCenter server, please remove the ESX server first.  Once the steps above are completed, you can add it back to the vCenter server.

Sample commands:

rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg reboot

For ESXi 5.1 and ESXi 5.5, you may need to continually remove the license files as the server reboots for this to work.  The following should do this quite nicely:

rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg reboot ; while true ; do rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg done

An alternative shows that restarting the services should works just as well as rebooting the server:

# For ESXi 5.0 rm -f /etc/vmware/vmware.lic /etc/vmware/license.cfg services.sh restart
# For ESXi 5.1 rm -r /etc/vmware/license.cfg cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg /etc/init.d/vpxa restart

The alternative also shows a method for resetting the trial license while connected to vCenter server.  I still think removing and re-adding the ESXi server is cleaner.

Thanks Sakthivel R
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The reason why VMware grants 60 days for evaluating the products is that this is sufficient to decide whether or not this product meets a customer's needs and expectations. There are however reasons why 60 days might not be sufficient. In this case I'd recommend to contact a VMware Sales representative, or your VMware Partner company and ask them to provide an extended evaluation license.

André

0 Kudos