VMware Cloud Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Evaluation License Warning after 5.1 Update

I have 3 ESXi Hosts in remote offices that I plan to use Update Manager to get them up to 5.1, however I have noticed when I did the local hosts that after the system has performed the update, on the console is a warning message stating that it will be assigned an Evaluation License and its good for 60 days but you must assign a normal license to is as soon as you can.

It looks like it automatically closes itself after a period of time, but I am not 100% certain about this.

Can anyone confirm this closes on its own? More importantly, is there a way to kick off the update via Update Manager and have it supress any input required on the console? This is helpful for Remote sysems where you do not have access to the console

Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SCMHenry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What version of ESXi are you upgrading from?

If you are upgrading from 4.x, the original license keys will not be recognized once the host is running 5.x

There shouldn't be any requirement to interact with the remote console, as far as I know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SCMHenry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What version of ESXi are you upgrading from?

If you are upgrading from 4.x, the original license keys will not be recognized once the host is running 5.x

There shouldn't be any requirement to interact with the remote console, as far as I know.

0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please update your license keys from My VMware portal, if you are not sure to do it, please call VMware licensing support.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
kaos
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

When you performed the upgrade from VUM, are you talking about seeing this message, after the upgrade completed, but before the system rebooted into the new build? Also, which version are you upgrading from?

Thanks,

etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all for replying, I was on vacation for a few days so I'm back now to answer the questions.

I am upgrading from ESXi4.1U3 to ESXi5.0 and now to 5.1. The first couple I did was before I upgraded the license in the license portal to 5, then I upgraded the licenses and installed them in VCenter (in the VI Client). In both situations, the console of the ESXi Host displayed this message after it has completed the upgrade, directly in front of the final reboot where it boots into the fully functional 5.1 host.

It turns out that after several minutes the host will reboot on its own, it just made me nervous when I am upgrading the ESXi hosts in the remote offices, as I have 10 to 15 minutes of unkown activity.

I still do not see a way to not display this message, but as it will eventually reboot on its own I guess there is no real concern here.

Ed

0 Kudos