VMware Cloud Community
gauravsingh85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Esx5 scripted installation mac not found

while installing esx5 via scripted installation i am having this error "there was a problem with the network device specified on the command line . Error: No nic found with MAC address<MAC address>" and the installation haults

the MAC address it shows is correct and same as what the NIC have but still it is not able find the MAC

i have also changed the server after the error but the new server is showing the same error message

snap_esx5_install.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you try this on the machine:

1. Get a shell with the keystroke "Alt-F1"

2. Login as "root" with no password

3. Try the following:

~ # python

Python 2.6.1 ...

Type "help"...

>>> import vmkctl

>>> ni = vmkctl.NetworkInfoImpl()

>>> [addr.GetMacAddress().GetStringAddress() for addr in ni.GetPnics()]

['00:0c:00:00:00:00', ...]

4. Make certain that one of the entries in that list is the same as the BOOTIF=01-<string>, except with the colons as dashes.  The call to NetworkInfoImpl().GetPnics() is the same call that the installer is using to determine whether the MAC address exists.

Let us know how that goes.

--Patrick.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have moved your question to a more approriate Forum - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you try this on the machine:

1. Get a shell with the keystroke "Alt-F1"

2. Login as "root" with no password

3. Try the following:

~ # python

Python 2.6.1 ...

Type "help"...

>>> import vmkctl

>>> ni = vmkctl.NetworkInfoImpl()

>>> [addr.GetMacAddress().GetStringAddress() for addr in ni.GetPnics()]

['00:0c:00:00:00:00', ...]

4. Make certain that one of the entries in that list is the same as the BOOTIF=01-<string>, except with the colons as dashes.  The call to NetworkInfoImpl().GetPnics() is the same call that the installer is using to determine whether the MAC address exists.

Let us know how that goes.

--Patrick.

0 Kudos
gauravsingh85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thankyou for help

We figure out that I was unzipping the esx image on windows and transferring over linux machine .

The windows has changed all file name from lower case to upper case

So I changed the boot.cfg list to upper case to try out the options and the installation ran fine for a while but stops after it does not found the vib with name misc-cni.v00 in /tardisk "/tardisk/misccni.v00" so  I removed the misccni.v00 from boot.cfg and I think that’s why we were not able to load bnx driver.

Solution

mount esx image to CDROM in linux and copy over the content the file name remain  the same as  that of original

0 Kudos
monicaandchandl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I am also having an issues relating to Error: No nic found with MAC address<MAC address>"

Is there any advice you an offer me? I was not sure if your method would work for me.

Thanks

MacAdd.PNG

0 Kudos
MarcusRichardso
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also ran into the same situation when attempting to pxe boot and install ESXi5.0.0, the simplest thing is to just bypass weasel altogether and setup networking manually at the end of the install via commenting out the 'kernelopt=runweasel' line in the boot.cfg file just add a # at the beginning of the line.

In my case I used the method prescribed by PatrickD to see which interfaces were being seen by weasel and it was only seeing my pci add-on nics and not my onboard nics which is what I pxebooted from.

pzi123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess nobody followed up with details. I see the same issue with ESXi 6u2 - current build.  The output from the Alt-F12 and Alt-F1 attached.

The iso version I kickstart from is:

pzi@pzi-gw-1:/var/lib/tftpboot/vmware$ cat .discinfo

ESXi

Version: 6.0.0-2.34.3620759

The PXE/TFTP process goes fine and loads the kernel and loads all modules in yellow screeen and in the middle the kickstart process stops with the error:

Error: No NIC found with MAC address "00:50:56....."

The pxelinux.cfg/default:

label esxi

kernel esxi-6-u2/mboot.c32

append -c esxi-6-u2/esxi-6-u2.cfg

The esxi-6-u2.cfg:

pzi@pzi-gw-1:/var/lib/tftpboot/esxi-6-u2$ cat esxi-6-u2.cfg

bootstate=0

title=Loading ESXi installer

timeout=5

#prefix=arch/arch/vmware/6/U2/VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.0.0.update02-3620759.x86_64/

#prefix=http://192.168.50.1/vmware/6/U2/VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.0.0.update02-3620759.x86_64

prefix=vmware

kernel=tboot.b00

#kernelopt=runweasel

kernelopt=ks=http://192.168.50.1/ks/esxi.cfg

modules=b.b00 --- jumpstrt.gz --- useropts.gz --- k.b00 --- chardevs.b00 --- a.b00 --- user.b00 --- uc_intel.b00 --- uc_amd.b00 --- sb.v00 --- s.v00 --- mtip32xx.v00 --- ata_pata.v00 --- ata_pata.v01 --- ata_pata.v02 --- ata_pata.v03 --- ata_pata.v04 --- ata_pata.v05 --- ata_pata.v06 --- ata_pata.v07 --- block_cc.v00 --- ehci_ehc.v00 --- elxnet.v00 --- emulex_e.v00 --- weaselin.t00 --- esx_dvfi.v00 --- esx_ui.v00 --- ima_qla4.v00 --- ipmi_ipm.v00 --- ipmi_ipm.v01 --- ipmi_ipm.v02 --- lpfc.v00 --- lsi_mr3.v00 --- lsi_msgp.v00 --- lsu_hp_h.v00 --- lsu_lsi_.v00 --- lsu_lsi_.v01 --- lsu_lsi_.v02 --- lsu_lsi_.v03 --- lsu_lsi_.v04 --- misc_cni.v00 --- misc_dri.v00 --- net_bnx2.v00 --- net_bnx2.v01 --- net_cnic.v00 --- net_e100.v00 --- net_e100.v01 --- net_enic.v00 --- net_forc.v00 --- net_igb.v00 --- net_ixgb.v00 --- net_mlx4.v00 --- net_mlx4.v01 --- net_nx_n.v00 --- net_tg3.v00 --- net_vmxn.v00 --- nmlx4_co.v00 --- nmlx4_en.v00 --- nmlx4_rd.v00 --- nvme.v00 --- ohci_usb.v00 --- qlnative.v00 --- rste.v00 --- sata_ahc.v00 --- sata_ata.v00 --- sata_sat.v00 --- sata_sat.v01 --- sata_sat.v02 --- sata_sat.v03 --- sata_sat.v04 --- scsi_aac.v00 --- scsi_adp.v00 --- scsi_aic.v00 --- scsi_bnx.v00 --- scsi_bnx.v01 --- scsi_fni.v00 --- scsi_hps.v00 --- scsi_ips.v00 --- scsi_meg.v00 --- scsi_meg.v01 --- scsi_meg.v02 --- scsi_mpt.v00 --- scsi_mpt.v01 --- scsi_mpt.v02 --- scsi_qla.v00 --- uhci_usb.v00 --- vsan.v00 --- vsanheal.v00 --- vsanmgmt.v00 --- xhci_xhc.v00 --- tools.t00 --- xorg.v00 --- imgdb.tgz --- imgpayld.tgz

build=

updated=0

#nobootif=1

The http://192.168.50.1/ks/esxi.cfg:

$ cat esxi.cfg

#

# Sample scripted installation file

#

# Accept the VMware End User License Agreement

vmaccepteula

# Set the root password for the DCUI and Tech Support Mode

rootpw mypassword

# The install media is in the CD-ROM drive

install --firstdisk --overwritevmfs

# Set the network to DHCP on the first network adapter

network --bootproto=dhcp --device=vmnic0

# A sample post-install script

%post --interpreter=python --ignorefailure=true

import time

stampFile = open('/finished.stamp', mode='w')

stampFile.write( time.asctime() )

0 Kudos