VMware Cloud Community
DSRSAS
Contributor
Contributor

Esx3.5 update5 upgrade to ESXi5

Hi,

I am planning an upgradation from ESX3.5 to Vsphere5. I am having 6 Servers (64Bit) with ESX 3.5 update5 and Vcenter 2.5 with update3 the file system is vmfs3. Now what I am planning to do.

1. Take one Host out of ESX3.5 and format it and install fresh ESXi5

2. Provide access to existing datasotres on which old VMs are residing

3. Make new VC5 and Add the new host to this new VC.

4. Make identical network setup as old esx3 servers

5. Remove the VM form the inventory from the old esx3 servers cluster.

6. Add the VM to the inventory in new esxi5 cluster.

and than latter on upgrade the tools and hardware.

I am not sure will removing the VM with RDM from the inventory on old server and adding the VM with RDM to inventory to the new ESXi5 server will work properly.

Kindly suggest if anyone has followed this method before or if there are any issues in follwoing this method.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If the hosts as well as the storage system is supported by vSphere 5 and the LUNs are presented to all hosts the same way (same LUN ID) there should be no issues with the steps you mentioned and the RDM's should also be recognized.

André

0 Kudos
DSRSAS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I have checed the compatiblity Matrix for Host IBM HS22 7870 B4J is support by esxi5. How can I make sure that LUNS can presented by same LUN ID to all hosts. Is there any KB for this.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How can I make sure that LUNS can presented by same LUN ID to all hosts

This is something you have to do on the storage system. Depending on the system you either need to assign a LUN number to each host/LUN combination manually or the LUNs and hosts are grouped. With adding all hosts to the same host group, the storage system should take care of the proper presentation.

André

0 Kudos