VMware Cloud Community
Kaustubhambulka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Esx 6.5 stuck at " About to Install.." while upgrading to Esx6.5 U1

Hello Team,

Stuck at below screen while upgrading the Esx from 6.0 to 6.5.

Hardware : Cisco UCS

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Similar issues seen while upgrading via VUM or ISO image on the hosts that have RDMs mapped. Can you try upgrading using the offline bundle via the command line?

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure, but you may want to check whether Alt-F12 is already available at this stage, to see what's going on.

André

0 Kudos
suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi all,

We have the same issue with UCS B200. While trying to upgrade the ESXi 5.5 to 6.5 through update manager, it got stuck on "About to install". However, it is going through manual upgrade with ISO mount. We have 104 ESXi host with 5.5 so doing manual upgrade will be time consuming and not recommended.

Please help.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
cmanania
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone ever resolve this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please press Alt-F12 to see whether the VMKernel log shows any helpful error messages.

André

0 Kudos
Rajaram2k
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is noticed if the host is mapped with RDM LUN's

The scan with timeout and the upgrade / installation will complete after few min's or hours depending upon number of RDM presented to the ESXi host

In the kernel you might see below

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
MCEnforcer
Contributor
Contributor

This happens every single time. I am yet to do a 6.5 upgrade successfully using any method. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

I have no RDMs mapped and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use VUM, offline bundle or booting from an ISO. I get the same result if upgrading from 5.5 or 6.0.

I have tried OEM & generic images. I make sure I remove all incompatible VIBs.

Every now and then I get one that I think has worked. It survives the first reboot but the instant you apply any updates - PSOD.

The "simple" process of upgrading 30 hosts from 5.5 to 6.5 has taken over a year. And the best part, 5.5 was perfectly stable and generated no support tickets. We only upgraded from 5.5 because VMware wouldn't support it anymore. Logging lots of tickets now !!

0 Kudos
sejwong
Contributor
Contributor

I have left 2 hosts at that screen for 24hrs and hasn't moved.  it would be nice to be able to do the upgrades from Update Manager.

0 Kudos