VMware Cloud Community
hd74CU
Contributor
Contributor

Essentials upgrade path

Hi all,

First time poster so please be patient lol.

We are running Essentials 6.7 plus and have used the 3x esxi as permitted. We now have a new project that will need an additional esxi. I'm struggling to find what the upgrade path is.

Note: I will need to vmotion between all esxis.

Many thanx in advance.

Shane

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With 4, or more hosts, you need "default" licenses, i.e. vCenter Server, and ESXi/CPU licenses.

AFAIK VMware offers a tradeup from Essentials to a Standard Acceleration Kit (1x vCenter Server Standard, 6xCPUs Standard).
However, depending on what exactly you need, another - less expensive - Acceleration Kit is available, which contains 1x vCenter Server Foundation plus 8 CPU licenses.

I'd suggest you contact a VMware partner/reseller for details, and a quote.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Indeed a "new" vSphere Accel. Kit Standard(8 CPUs) costs ~1300,- less than the upgrade path which is a Accel. Kit Standard(6 CPUs) + 2x CPU.

The question is how likely a 5th. Host will come because the upgrade contains a "unlimited" vCenter while the 8CPU ACC only a max. 4 Host vCenter which is named vCenter Foundation.

But if you compare the also available new Accel. Kit Std.(6CPU) which includes the unlimited vCenter Standard and adding 2 CPU lics than its higher as upgrading the existing license.

As suggested get in contact with your local VMware Partner.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos