VMware Cloud Community
vcpstudent
Contributor
Contributor

Essentials Plus Licensing

Hi All,

Can someone confirm to me whether ESXi Essentials Plus uses a different installation or are the new functions enabled when you add the license?

Basically we've purchased a essentials plus package from our reseller.

We currently have ESXi 4.1 standalone I have now got my new hardware to add another esxi host but don't have the license key for essentials plus.

While I am waiting can I install ESXi as a standalone server so that the servers plugged in and I can deploy some virtual machines on to it?

I know all the functions won't be available, like vmotion and update manager, but i'm hoping I can add the license key when it arrives and then start using these.

I'm likely to get the license next week now, so any feedback would be very helpful.

Regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The binaries are the same for all editions. It's only the license key which locks or unlocks the features. You can change the license keys while the VM's are running. No need for downtime.

Btw. once you install ESXi, it will run in evaluation mode for 60 days without entering a license key.

André

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The only thing to be careful of is a position I've been in. It looks like this:

Order VMware licenses today. Supplier assures I'll have them within two weeks

Build environment using 60 day trial keys

30 days later, environment becomes production. Why not, it's running fine?

60 days later, evaluation expires, suppliers tells me he has no control over when we receive licenses

Plan for the worst Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

If that happens in 60 days, contact VMware or supplier and request another set of trial keys for 60 days (which they CAN control).

Even if you dont get them, your VMs dont stop, they just cant be managed.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
vcpstudent
Contributor
Contributor

See whats confusing me is when I go to download the free ESXi, there's also a option to download a licensed version, when I click on this link there are numerous more downloads with essentials, essentials plus, advanced etc.

Can I download the essentials plus one and use that for a limited period, or will that only work if I have a license key?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vSphere Evaluation version (60 days without entering a license key) offers all features of the Enterprise Plus edition.

You can register for it at http://www.vmware.com/go/tryvsphere

André

0 Kudos
vcpstudent
Contributor
Contributor

so if I download the ESXi installer it gives me the full install.

When I receive my license key and apply it some of these features will be gone?

Where will I add the license key? On the host or through VCentre?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

so if I download the ESXi installer it gives me the full install.

Yes, the binaries are the same for all versions.

When I receive my license key and apply it some of these features will be gone?
Where will I add the license key? On the host or through VCentre?

If you run vCenter Server, you can manage all licenses through vCenter Server. If you have only host licenses they can be added to individual hosts using the vSphere Client (Configuration -> Licensed Features)

Keep in mind that if you are using features which are not included in Essentials Plus, you may not be able to apply the license until these features are deactivated (unused) again.

André

0 Kudos
vcpstudent
Contributor
Contributor

OK - did some work this weekend. It appears it's not gone how I expected

Installed ESXi 5 on my new server - Worked Great

Deployed a few VM's - Worked Great

Deployed VCentre Server and added host - Worked Great

Installed Update Manager - NOTICED NO UPDATE OF VM'S NOW SUPPORTED (IS THIS CORRECT? AS I MAY NEED TO DOWNGRADE TO 4.1)

Added 4.1 host - Worked Great

Enabled vMotion - Worked Great on 5.0 host, unable to add on 4.1 host, as I am not licensed.

Questions -

Is VM Patching no longer supported on ESXi 5 through Update Manager

If not is there anything else that can be done through a essentials plus license?

When I receive my essentials plus key, will I be able to apply this to my 4.1 host in production to be able to add vMotion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is VM Patching no longer supported on ESXi 5 through Update Manager

If not is there anything else that can be done through a essentials plus license?

This is not related to the edition you use. VMware decided not to continue support for patching guests wit vSpehre 5.0.

from http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esxi41_vc41_rel_notes.html

VMware vCenter Update Manager Features. vCenter Update Manager  4.1 and its subesquent update releases are the last releases to support  scanning and remediation of patches for Windows and Linux guest  operating systems and applications running inside a virtual machine. The  ability to perform virtual machine operations such as upgrade of VMware  Tools and virtual machine hardware will continue to be supported and  enhanced.

When I receive my essentials plus key, will I be able to apply this to my 4.1 host in production to be able to add vMotion?

I can't tell you for sure whether it is possible to divide the 6 "Essentials Plus" CPU license keys into licenses for e.g. 4CPUs for ESXi 5.x and 2CPUs for ESXi 4.x. You may need to see whether this is possible in your VMware account after you received the license keys.

André

0 Kudos