VMware Cloud Community
vcsaca2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error while upgrading VCSA from 6.7 to 7.0 - failing at Stage2

Have checked DNS enteries.
Have checked SSO admin is part of Administrators group

----------------------------------------Upgrade from 6.7.2100 to 7.0 U3g build 20150588 ---------------------

Stops at Stage 2 ; 22% starting token services.

Encountered an internal error. Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 1449, in main vmidentityFB.boot() File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 340, in boot self.configureSTS(self.__stsRetryCount, self.__stsRetryInterval) File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 925, in configureSTS self.startSTSService() File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 845, in startSTSService returnCode = self.startService(self.__sts_service_name) File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 102, in startService update_services_runstate("start", None, False, False, svc_names=[svc_name]) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 834, in update_services_runstate ignore_err=ignore_err) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 696, in _update_services_runstate_svclist controller.start_svc(svc_id, explicit_op=explicit_op) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 444, in start_svc manual_start=True, check_state=True) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/utils.py", line 1087, in service_start raise ServiceStartException(svc_name) cis.exceptions.ServiceStartException: { "detail": [ { "id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart", "translatable": "An error occurred while starting service 'Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 1449, in main vmidentityFB.boot() File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 340, in boot self.configureSTS(self.__stsRetryCount, self.__stsRetryInterval) File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 925, in configureSTS self.startSTSService() File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 845, in startSTSService returnCode = self.startService(self.__sts_service_name) File "/usr/lib/vmidentity/firstboot/vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 102, in startService update_services_runstate("start", None, False, False, svc_names=[svc_name]) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 834, in update_services_runstate ignore_err=ignore_err) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 696, in _update_services_runstate_svclist controller.start_svc(svc_id, explicit_op=explicit_op) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/svcsController.py", line 444, in start_svc manual_start=True, check_state=True) File "/usr/lib/vmware/site-packages/cis/utils.py", line 1087, in service_start raise ServiceStartException(svc_name) cis.exceptions.ServiceStartException: { "detail": [ { "id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart", "translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'", "args": [ "sts" ], "localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'sts'" } ], "componentKey": null, "problemId": null, "resolution": null } '", "args": [ "sts" ], "localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'sts'" } ], "componentKey": null, "problemId": null, "resolution": null }
Resolution
This is an unrecoverable error, please retry install. If you encounter this error again, please search for these symptoms in the VMware Knowledge Base for any known issues and possible resolutions. If none can be found, collect a support bundle and open a support request.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@vcsaca2022

I had a similar issue and my resolution was the steps provided in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80469
I had lots of ssl certificates and the vCenter was unable to pin the correct one to transfer it and startup the services on the new vCenter appliance.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you still reject your upgrade and usually access your vCenter 6.7?

According to your Info - you have vCenter 6.7 U1b - you will say it makes no sense - but I recommend you to update that 6.7 vCenter to version U3s for example - and after that try to upgrade to version 7 again.

Should work.

0 Kudos
vcsaca2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I can access the 6.7 and have successfully reverted multiple times as I tried different version of VCSA7 .

I guess its worth trying upgrading to 6.7 U3 and try that. thanks.

0 Kudos
vcsaca2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler
but, wait...I remember there are restrictions on upgrading to back in time release.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67077#vCenterServer6.7to7.0

6.7U3s released in oct 2022 - will not upgrade to any 7.0
the pervious version will. I suppose you meant to try any of the 6.7U3 .s , and not 6.7U3S specifically as doesn't look like it will help my goal to jump to 7.0.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@vcsaca2022

I had a similar issue and my resolution was the steps provided in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80469
I had lots of ssl certificates and the vCenter was unable to pin the correct one to transfer it and startup the services on the new vCenter appliance.

Regards

vcsaca2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this worked! LSDOCTOR sure remediates all ailments ! 🙂

1. Take a snapshot of vCenter - cold preffered,

2. From the puTTY session, go to /tmp/lsdoctor-master (current directory)

3. Run python lsdoctor.py -t

4. Provide the password for your SSO administrator account

5. After the fix script completes, restart all the services using command:

• service-control --stop --all

• service-control --start --all

0 Kudos