VMware Cloud Community
baker5518
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when applying an update patch - Standalone ESXi

Good evening all,

I currently have a single ESXi host with local attached storage, one datastore called 'Datastore1, that I am trying to apply the latest patch to in order to install a trial version of Win8. I am currently running version 5.0.0 469512.

Initially I tried to install patch ESXi500-201112001 and that gave me an error message so I tried to install the latest patch, ESXi500-201209001, to see if that would do the trick, it didn't/

So here's what I've done so far.  I've downloaded the patches and uploaded to the root of datastore1.  I have then enabled ESXi Shell and SSH, powered off my VMs and put the host into maintenance mode. I have then connected to the host using Putty.

One there I have navigated to /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ and run the following command:-

esxcli software vib update --depot <zipfilename.zip>

This errors out with following message:

[MetadataDownloadError]
Could not download from depot at zip:/var/log/vmware/ESXi500-201112001.zip?index.xml, skipping (('zip:/var/log/vmware/ESXi500-201112001.zip?index.xml', '', "Error extracting index.xml from /var/log/vmware/ESXi500-201112001.zip: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/log/vmware/ESXi500-201112001.zip'"))
        url = zip:/var/log/vmware/ESXi500-201112001.zip?index.xml
Please refer to the log file for more details.

I've tried the obligatory host reboot, same result.

Can someone please cast an eye and see what muppetry I'm conducting.

Thanks in advance

Jay

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try this command:

esxcli software vib update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi500-201112001.zip

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try this command:

esxcli software vib update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi500-201112001.zip

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
baker5518
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Brian,  I've just tried that and I didnt get the error, rather a Putty window full of text and then back to the 'command prompt'.  I'll do a reboot and let you know how it goes.

Out of interest, is normal to have to put in the path even though you've navigated to the location of the zip file, as far as I can see that's the only difference.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, as far as I know the path specified must be absolute.

baker5518
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Brian, that did the trick.  Won't make that mistake again.

Much appreciated!