esxinsfla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error using datamigrationtool.zip for vSphere5 upgrade

current: windows server 2003 x64

vcenter server 4.1 U1 (build 14766)

DB: bundled SQL2005 Express

Ive decided to move my vcenter server to a new  Server2008 x64 box so im following 'Upgrade to vCenter Server on a  Different Machine and Upgrade the
Database' from the vsphere5 upgrade guide.

I get to the  step 'Back Up VirtualCenter or vCenter Server Configuration with the  Data Migration Tool' and copied the datamigration.zip from the vsphere5  install CD to the c:\ of my source Windows2003 vcenter server, stopped  vcenter services, and tried running backup.bat. attached is the screencap of the error im getting which is:

...vCenter Server Installation version 4.1.0.14766

vCenter Server version not supported...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Data migration is supported only on vc2.5u6 and vc4.0x as those versions had x32bit version. This tool is meant for customers who would like to move VC from 32bit server to 64bit server.  Let me know if this solves the issue.  Regards, Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Data migration is supported only on vc2.5u6 and vc4.0x as those versions had x32bit version. This tool is meant for customers who would like to move VC from 32bit server to 64bit server.  Let me know if this solves the issue.  Regards, Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
esxinsfla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Therefore in my case how do i go about moving settings/data from my current VC to the new instace on a separate machine?

Or is this even required? Can i simply detach the DB from the current VC then attach on the new instance of VC.

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Attach and detach should take care of db data. Exactly what all setting are your trying to retain?

Regards,

Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos