VMware Cloud Community
psychokinetic
Contributor
Contributor

Error upgrading vCenter appliance from 5.1 to 6

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade from vCenter appliance 5.1u3 to 6u1

I have 3 ESXi hosts on 5.1.

I'm using the the upgrade manager. After completing the information at step 4 I receive an error:

"Internal error occurs during VMware vCenter Server Database pre-upgrade checks"

After scanning the log files I see an error(log file below).

I have search the forums and tried the following with no success. A support call to vmware has produced no solution.

VMware KB:    Upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 6.0 fails with the error: Internal error occurred d...

VMware KB: Upgrading from vCenter Server Appliance 5.x to 6.0 reports error: vCenterServer FQDN does...

Questions:

1.Can anyone help?

2.Can I manually install a fresh appliance and then connect to my hosts. What configuration would I lose?

Thanks

Log file snippet from CollectRequirements_com.vmware.vcdb_"Date".log

2016-01-21T22:48:44.357Z INFO vcdb Retrieving DB type...

2016-01-21T22:48:44.357Z INFO vcdb DB type retrieved: PostgreSQL

2016-01-21T22:48:44.367Z INFO vcdb Retrieving DB user...

2016-01-21T22:48:44.398Z INFO vcdb DB user retrieved: vc

2016-01-21T22:48:44.408Z INFO vcdb Retrieving DB password...

2016-01-21T22:48:44.453Z INFO vcdb DB password retrieved: ****

2016-01-21T22:48:44.466Z INFO vcdb Validating source embedded schema...

2016-01-21T22:49:00.493Z INFO vcdb Souce embedded schema validation completed.

2016-01-21T22:49:00.500Z WARNING transport.local BAD REQUEST: Cannot execute ['/opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql', '-U', 'postgres', '-d', 'VCDB', '-t', '-c', "\n               SELECT ceil(sum(pg_relation_size(C.oid)) / (1024*1024)) as disk_size\n                 FROM pg_class C\n                 LEFT JOIN pg_namespace N\n                   ON N.oid = C.relnamespace\n                WHERE nspname IN ('vc', 'vpx') and relkind in ('r', 't')\n               \n                           AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_hist_stat%'\n                           AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_sample_time%'\n                           AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_event%'\n                           AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_task%'\n                           AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_property_bulletin%'\n                           "]. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

2016-01-21T22:49:00.500Z ERROR __main__ Upgrade Phase 'vcdb:CollectRequirements' failed. Exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/var/tmp/vmware-upgrade-requirements/cis-upgrade-runner/payload/componentPhaseLauncher.py", line 379, in main

executionResult = systemExtension(exeContext)

8 Replies
psychokinetic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I solved this issue by upgrading to 5.5 and then to 6.

Its been a while since I have looked for help from Vmware tech support or these forums. Bit disappointing response from both.

0 Kudos
Jacke99
Contributor
Contributor

I faced same error.

"BAD REQUEST: Cannot execute ['/opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql', '-U', 'postgres', '-d', 'VCDB', '-t', '-c', "\n ...."

File /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql file do not exist. Actually the whole bin directory missing on  /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/.

ls -l /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/

total 8

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct  3  2014 lib

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct  3  2014 shar

ls -l /opt/vmware/vpostgres/

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct  3  2014 1.0

drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Oct  3  2014 9.0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    3 Oct  3  2014 current -> 9.0

They call wrong path on their Python scripts.
This should be fixed;
/opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql
to be: /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/psql

On their Python scripts.

gvs_rambabu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was facing the same issue but after creating a symbolic link. It got through i.e

"ln -s /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin"

All the best !

0 Kudos
ahdzc
Contributor
Contributor

hi same error message I followed the recommendation to create a symbolic link and same issue any idea what else is causing this?

2016-03-20T00:35:16.248Z WARNING transport.local BAD REQUEST: Cannot execute ['/opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql', '-U', 'postgres', '-d', 'VCDB', '-t', '-c', "\n              SELECT ceil(sum(pg

_relation_size(C.oid)) / (1024*1024)) as disk_size\n                FROM pg_class C\n                LEFT JOIN pg_namespace N\n                  ON N.oid = C.relnamespace\n                WHERE

nspname IN ('vc', 'vpx') and relkind in ('r', 't')\n              \n                          AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_hist_stat%'\n                          AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_sample_

time%'\n                          AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_event%'\n                          AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_task%'\n                          AND relname NOT LIKE 'vpx_property_bul

letin%'\n                          "]. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

0 Kudos
ahdzc
Contributor
Contributor

BTW

has someone fixed this issue

I found this link but did not work for me

virtuallyPeculiar: vCenter Appliance upgrade to 6.0 fails with "Internal error occurs during VMware ...

which says to

You can address this by creating a symbolic link to the correct path by running the below command:

"ln -s /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin" 

same issue and message I can not upgrade

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Follow this demonstrated article provided by VMWare to upgrade vCenter appliance.

Product Walkthroughs  - vCenter  Appliance Upgrade.

0 Kudos
ahdzc
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot but I was following that guide and like most guide they don't talk about issues like mine....

so that link does not work for my issue

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I opened a case since the workaround posted here did not work

so they documented my ticket like this

Internal KB interno  # 2142954

"Cause: The installer is searching for a DB config from /opt/vmware/vpostgres/1.0/bin/psql instead of db config from /opt/vmware/vpostgres/9.0"

they told me they had like 3 more cases like this escalated to get a resolution....

0 Kudos