I am trying to get a VMware environment updated for a company still on 6.0. Their Vcenter is running on Server 2012r2 with an embedded Platform Services Controller and embedded database. Update Manager is also on this server. When I run the migration assistant, it comes back with an internal error during the pre-upgrade checks. Support flagged the following errors after examining the zip file that got generated, but they don't seem to be very willing to go too far with me on this since 6.0 is out of general support. Hoping someone on here can help me determine how I can get the migration tool working. Thanks!
Migration action from version 6.0.0 to 6.7.0
Internal error occurs during VMware vCenter Server Database pre-upgrade checks.
2020-10-10T02:45:55.265Z WARNING wf.wf_processor State CollectRequirements com.vmware.vcdb has failed.
2020-10-10T02:45:55.265Z ERROR wf.wf_processor Workflow execution has failed
2020-10-10T02:45:15.762Z INFO vcdb.const DB type: embedded
2020-10-10T02:45:15.763Z INFO vcdb.const Validating source embedded schema...
2020-10-10T02:45:54.436Z INFO vcdb.const Source embedded schema validation completed.
2020-10-10T02:45:54.540Z ERROR __main__ Upgrade Phase 'vcdb:CollectRequirements' failed. Exception: (u'42P01', u'[42P01] ERROR: relation "user_segments" does not exist;\nError while executing the query')
I am assuming you are on postgres database as you mentioned default database on vcenter 6.0
Check if pgpass.conf is available under both these locations
Support asked me the same question, but unfortunately there is no postgresql folder located in that first path. There is a VMware folder, but it is empty.
There is a postgresql folder located in my user directory under that path, but the folder is also empty.
Replied to this via email, but not sure it went through. That file does not come up in a search. There is a folder called C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\vpostgres. In there are numerous directories starting with PG_ and a few .conf files, but nothing called pgpass
@RobWindham Ok, hope all is well, but I managed to get this to work.
My issue was that an in place upgrade from 2008R2 to 2012R2 was done and the file was located in the .old Windows directory.
So I decided to create the "postgresl" folder and added the .conf file there. I put the file in both folder as listed.
The migration pre-check went through successfully. Not sure if you did an in place upgrade as well...
Hope this helps.