VMware Cloud Community
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error in installing ESXi 5 on PC

Need  help...during installation of ESXi, I am getting an error "The CPU has  been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the  virtual machine."

What could be the reason of such reason?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The settings have to be configured in the host's (HP Pavillion) system. I don't know how this BIOS looks like, you may search for the settings (usually CPU settings). As mentioned before, after modifying the setting, power cycle the system!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your system is listed in HCL?

Have you tried to disable the Power Management in the BIOS?

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have HP Pavillion laptop with i3 processor 2.2 GHz and 4 GB RAM. Any idea how to get rid of that error?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you trying to install ESXi natively on the hardware or do you install it as a VM in e.g. VMware Workstation?

André

0 Kudos
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On VMware workstation 8. During setup, I have allocated 2GB RAM with 2 Processors and 50 GB hard disk.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you choose ESXi as guest VM?

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Make sure the following settings are configured in the system's BIOS (if possible):

• Intel VT-x: enabled
  • Execute Disable Bit: enabled
  • Intel VT-d: disabled
  • Trusted Execution: Disabled

If you are still not able to install ESXi, please post (attach) the vmware.log file from the ESXi VMs folder.

André

0 Kudos
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check this out. I have attached the log file....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Common: MSR  0x3a =                0x1

This indicates that you don't have Virtualization Technology (VT-x) enabled in your system's BIOS.

André

PS: After modifying the CPU settings in the BIOS, you need to power cycle the system (power off/power on). A simple reboot is not sufficient!

Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh!! Can you tell me the exact process, how to do it? Do I need to configure BIOS settings of host OS or guest OS?

0 Kudos
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is my screen shot...have a look.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The settings have to be configured in the host's (HP Pavillion) system. I don't know how this BIOS looks like, you may search for the settings (usually CPU settings). As mentioned before, after modifying the setting, power cycle the system!

André

0 Kudos
mapuancloudengi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Neo,

Always make sure that ESXi Hypervisor can only be installed on 64-BIT x86 CPUs.

Always remember that you should enable Intel-VT on your System BIOS Setup.

You should also have one or more Gigabit or 10Gigabit Ethernet Controllers.

You should have enough storage capacity. Try to consume 40 GB of your Hard Disk using your virtual laboratory infrastructure (VMware Workstation 8.0)

Note: Try to increase your ESXi Host RAM into 3GB, because I believe that is one of the best practices.

Another thing to take note is that, try to deploy your ESXi host as a VM with a Custom type of configuration on the New Virtual Machine Wizard of your VMware Workstation 8.0

I hope this can help you a lot man. If you find this useful, I hope you'll consider awarding points Smiley Happy

Regards, Dann Angelo De Guzman, B.S. Electronics Eng'g VCP-5 #101036 Manila, Philippines If anyone find my responses or blog posts very useful, please consider awarding points. Thanks 🙂
Neo23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Done it!!! And it is working now.....under my BIOS setting, there was an option of Virtualization which was disabled.

Thanks alot to every one. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos