VMware Cloud Community
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error Upgrading vCenter Single Sign-on to 5.5

When I attempt to upgrade Single Sign-On 5.1 to 5.5, I am getting the following error:

CustomAction BootstrapAll returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 11:35:09: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

This results in a rollback that happens. In searching the docs, there is mention of renaming the CIS folder, which I did, but did not solve the issue. Is anyone else running into this issue when upgrading from 5.1 to 5.5?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, so I believe that I have figured out the issue. Apparently, when the update failed the first time, potentially due to the bad CIS folder, when you remove that folder and attempt to cleanup and reinstall, the installer doesn't recreate the CIS folder. When I got that folder recreated, the installation completed successfully. So, it looks like I am good to go.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you checked this KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009167

(it points to an MS KB)... will want to know if this or whatever resolves the issue.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please upload the logs of vminst.log and vim-sso-msi.log from %Temp%.

Also please provide value of FqdnIp in Windows registry, which version of SSO (5.1P1 or 5.1U1a) before the upgrade?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The version I was attempting to upgrade from is 5.1U1a. I just uninstalled and attempted to reinstall it fresh on the same machine but am receiving the same errors. The server is Windows Server 2012 if that helps. Grabbing the logs now.

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Logs have been attached.

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, so I believe that I have figured out the issue. Apparently, when the update failed the first time, potentially due to the bad CIS folder, when you remove that folder and attempt to cleanup and reinstall, the installer doesn't recreate the CIS folder. When I got that folder recreated, the installation completed successfully. So, it looks like I am good to go.

0 Kudos
flakpyro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, im having the exact same issue, you simply removed C:\Program Files\VMware\CIS and allowed the installer to recreate it? Doesn't seem to be working for me, error 1603 persists Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No. What happened was when I removed the CIS folder, the installer DID NOT recreate the CIS folder like it was supposed to. The result is that it still failed to work. What I ended up doing was running the installer on a temporary machine which created the CIS folder, copied it over to the server I was attempting to upgrade, then ran the installer again. When I ran it after that, it worked without any issues.

0 Kudos
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi flakpyro,

In your case, please re-install Python from following folder \\VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-1312299\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-python.msi, then re-install SSO.

Thanks.

DamienS20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running into a similar error but the fixes listed in this thread haven't solved it for me.

It does however seem to have changed the error so that's progress.

The error I see now in vminst.log is:

Getting SSL certificates for https://10.100.5.95:7444/lookupservice/sdk

com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.CertificateValidationException: Server certificate assertion not verified and thumbprint not matched

Return code is: SslHandshakeFailed

VMware Single Sign-On-build-1302472: 09/23/13 16:24:19 Leaving VmSetupImportLookupServiceData, Error: 1

I'm not using a custom certificate; it's the VMware self signed one.

0 Kudos
DamienS20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the problem!

In the registry the FqdnIP for the SSO server was the IP. Once I changed that to the FQDN and re-ran setup it was happy.

maz124s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks heaps Damien changing FqdnIp in the registry from IP to FQDN fixed it straightaway - great pickup

Proves SSO is still a real pain the ass to install

0 Kudos
Bembel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks so much - the parameter HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer\FqdnIp was blank on my installation - entering the FQDN did the trick for me (after I manually installed Python)!

0 Kudos
pitogo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1603 error looked it up and this worked for me too, removed CIS folder and changed registry to FQDN.

0 Kudos