VMware Cloud Community
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error Message on Test Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to do a test upgrade at the moment on my lab (vCenter 5.5.0), my current workplace are on vCenter 5.1.0 and ESXi 5.0.0 so I would like to upgrade my ESXi hosts up to 5.1.0 and then in future move to 5.5.0.

I have built a test ESXi 5.0.0 in my lab environment but when I try and import theVMware-VMvisor-installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491.iso into Update Manager I get an error message after it trys to load the ESXi ISO into update manager...

Error: Failed to import data - the uploaded upgrade package cannot be used with vmware vsphere update manager.

Is this because I am running version 5.5.0 of vcenter within my lab?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

I was just checking kb:

. Update Manager 5.0 is capable of upgrading ESX/ESXi 4.0 and 4.1 hosts to ESXi 5.0. Update Manager is not capable of upgrading an ESX/ESXi 4.0 host to ESX/ESXi 4.1. Update Manager 5.5 can upgrade ESX/ESXi 4.0/4.1, ESXi 5.0, and ESXi 5.1 hosts to ESXi 5.5.

Same can be true for update manager 5.5

VMware KB: Methods for upgrading to ESXi 5.5

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks John,

So with our current situation is would probably be better to upgrade from vCenter 5.1 to vCenter to 5.5 and then upgrade the hosts from 5.0 to 5.5? I'm not sure why they are not currently the same, my colleague handled this previously and has not kept them in line.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

>So with our current situation is would probably be better to upgrade from vCenter 5.1 to vCenter to 5.5 and then upgrade the hosts from 5.0 to 5.5?

yes, this will work.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos