VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyP
Contributor
Contributor

Error 29155.Identity source discovery error.

I am constantly receiving this error when installing the SSO component on a newly installed 2008R2 server.

I have two vCenter 5.0u1 servers but would like to have the SSO, Inventory Service and Web Client all on a third server.  I have used the provisioned scripts to create the MSSQL table space on our clustered MSSQL database and to create the DB users.  I am logged into the SSO server as the domain administrator account and still get the error.  I have tried using alternative accounts that have domain admin privileges but no joy.  Each time I try a start with a fresh DB and a clean server to install SSO onto.

I know one can continue the install but when I did this I could not get my vCenter servers to link to the Web Client during their upgrade.  I am bemused that this error happens as a Domain Admin and would like to resolve this issue.

All help gratefully received.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnnyP
Contributor
Contributor

VMware support just told me to follow the error 29155 KB article despite me saying I aware that exists but would like to sort out the error.

Anyway, I followed the KB for a second time and have the same issue :smileyangry:  I add my AD identity source to the web client, tests fine, add it to default domains, move it to the top and save.  I've also registered my existing 5.0 vCenter servers in the meantime, to test things without attempting to upgrade them and getting more errors.

When I try to login with a domain account it states invalid credentials.  If I login with admin@System-Domain or the local admin account it logs me in, but I don't see the vCenter servers since the accounts used do not have access.  If I try to edit the identity source, in case my BASE DSN is wrong, I cannot save it as it claims 'invalid domain details' despite the test stating all is well.  Even if I put the settings back to the first setup it still gives the same error.  According to VMware I should be ableto login with a domain account at this point!

Am I doing something wrong or is this a common issue for people?

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
JohnnyP
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I clearly was doing something wrong :smileyblush:

I removed anything before the DC=*** part of the BASE DN and it saved!  Not sure this was totally clear in the installation but hey, it works properly now.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
JeffTull
Contributor
Contributor

If your like me..  I created my vCenter server on a Host that did not have the correct time...  VMware realy should add a NTP feature when installing the hypervisor. Anyway..  Correct the time on my server..  Re-ran SSO install which then un-installed SSO.. Then ran the install again to install it this time.. & it worked...  Check your time or ldap  will not sync..

0 Kudos
_ashfaq
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved this issue but after when I completed installation. Details here LDAPS Identity Source for VMware vCenter Single Sign On 5.1 | Ashfaq Ahmad Shinwary

0 Kudos
chewatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possible Causes for this problem found.

This may or may not have anything to do with the problem some people have installing vCenter and Horizon View but I'm going to throw it out there because I had the problem and now I don't.  I've installed Horizon View on three of my accounts and all went fine except when I tried on my own server in my office and I got the error in this blog.  After getting the error, I went down the same path as others where I installed Single Sign On first, got the error, fixed the error using the "ssocli configure-riat -a discover-is --simulate -u admin (Remove “–simulate” to apply)" command line then proceeded to install Inventory Service and vCenter to complete the install.  What happened next helped me figure out what "may" be causing the "Error 29155. Identity source discovery error" issue.  I accidentally overwrote my host that was not only running my Horizon View install but also it had my second domain controller on it.  In order to rebuild the domain controller I had to do all the steps to purge it in AD, DNS as well as NTDSUTIL to verify it was gone.  While I was in NTDSUTIL I noticed there was an old skeleton of a domain controller I had forgotten existed so I removed it as well and also cleaned DNS, AD Sites and Services, etc.  After all said and done I had a very clean DS and a new secondary domain controller up and running and was ready to do the Horizon View install again.  This time I didn't get the error though.  So, "maybe" this error has something to do with the fact that I had old remnants of DNS and AD skeletons hanging around and for the most part was a mess.  On all of my client networks I've had no problems and never got the error and they all have very clean DS/DNS etc.   My network, on the other hand, has been around since the early 2000's and I haven't really worried about keeping it clean through the upgrades.  This may or may not be the issue behind this error but this is what happened to me so I thought I’d post it and see if it helps anyone else.  Check your AD and DNS and make sure all is current and clean before you install and you may not get this error.  As always, please take this post with no warranties and at your own risk.

0 Kudos