VMware Cloud Community
wchoo
Contributor
Contributor

EXSi 7.0 fail to install

I manally used ISO image to mount it and boot from UEFI mode. 

IMG_1484.jpeg

Any hints ? Please help. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the error message, the installer cannot detect the storage. Are you trying to install ESXi on supported hardware (i.e. a host with a supported disk/RAID controller, and - in case of a RAID controller - did you configure logical volume(s) on it?

Note that some major vendors offer customized ESXi installation images with additional drivers to support their hardware.

André

0 Kudos
wchoo
Contributor
Contributor

In BIOS able to detect 2 SATA SSD and Broadcom SAS3816 controller. I did not configure logical volume on it. 

Do I have to configure raid group for the drives to install EXSi ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's likely not a question of configuring RAID, but an issue with unsupported hardware (your controller), which ESXi doesn't seem to detect.

André

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

From the screenshot, there are the words "VMware Virtual Platform", so it looks like you are installing ESXi 7.0 inside another VMware VM? So the controller at issue is not the physical hardware controller (the Broadcom SAS3816) but the virtual controller that is configured on the VM that the ESXi 7.0 is being installed on.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FWIIW: I hit similar situation attempting to upgrade ESXi 6.7 to 7.0 in a Vmware Workstation installation (nested). Works fine if hard drive is IDE, fails to find storage if SCSI. Seems like 7.0 doesn't like the pre-7.0 SCSI controller. I only had one VM in there so I just backed it up and created a new ESXi server and restored it.  

0 Kudos