VMware Cloud Community
Xeno_Sean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi3.5U3 Upgrade to ESXi4 by vSphere update Utility Error: Unsupported Host - Unsupported Boot Disk Layout

When I try to Upgrade my ESXi3.5 server (Which is Xeon E5310 on ASUS DSBV/SAS box with 5 SATA unRAID Disk on SAS controller) to ESXi4

I got Error: Unsupported Host - Unsupported Boot Disk Layout

What can I do now? Is it bug or just do not support local disk boot?

0 Kudos
45 Replies
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. So looks like for some reason the scratch partition was not created on vmhba1:0:0 which is needed during upgrade. Also there is no free space left on the disk to create it manually. The best option would be a fresh install.

0 Kudos
TechFan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It didn't matter for me. I deleted the entire VMFS partition and it still wouldn't upgrade. . .I did a fresh install and it still wouldn't upgrade. I think it was setting the partition sizes too small with the auto install somehow. . .

0 Kudos
dragancili
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did anyone tried this - you have server with 3.5U4 installable on it, create USB stick with esxi 4 on it (of course you cannot upgrade because of boot partition problem), boot new esxi 4 server and restore VM that already existed on 3.5 version from datastore? My main problem is where to backup 1.5TB???

Successfully?

Best regards,

Dragan

0 Kudos
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So are you asking if the VM from 3.5 will work on 4?

0 Kudos
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In case of such scenarios if a fresh install of ESXi4 is possible then its recommended.

0 Kudos
dragancili
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I'm not asking if VM will work on ESXi 4...I know that they will. I'm asking how to override this upgrade problem in case I don't have enough storage to backup my VM's.

Is it possible to install ESXi 4 on USB and boot server and then associate VM's with it?

Regards,

Dragan

0 Kudos