VMware Cloud Community
vigna67
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi upgrade

We are using Vspahre 6.5 in HP server with HD card, and I am planning to upgrade to Vsphere 7

As per VMware recommendation Vspher 7 did not work well in SD card and facing lot of issue, so I am planning to buy local hard disk to install the ESXi 7. 

Please advise, can I build vSphere 7 with local disk and re-store the config files from 6.5? or I have to build 6.5 with local disk and re-store config file then upgrade to V7.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As per VMware recommendation Vspher 7 did not work well in SD card and facing lot of issue, so I am planning to buy local hard disk to install the ESXi 7. 

ESXi 7.0 had issues till 7.0 U3c and are fixed however using SD cards are deprecated in future versions. Technically supported in 7.0.

Please advise, can I build vSphere 7 with local disk and re-store the config files from 6.5? or I have to build 6.5 with local disk and re-store config file then upgrade to V7.

You can install esxi 6.5 on local disk and restore the configuration as per kb https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2042141

Post successful install and configuration is stable, please upgrade to 7.0 using one of the upgrade methods (VUM/ISO/esxcli)

thanks

maksym007
Expert
Expert

You can do this for sure. But installation from scratch will be better

vigna67
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
vigna67
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@vigna67Please make sure you have a disk backplane and raid controller present in server where you can create a RAID1. I would strongly recommend doing a fresh installation. The sd card history has changed recently after a long discussion with VMware. I would try to run vSphere 7 with SD card again (make sure you have at least 32GB) for the new partition layout.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85685

For community houskeeping: Make sure to mark this as solved, when your question is answered.

0 Kudos
vigna67
Contributor
Contributor

I am planning to install Local disk and configured with Raid1 to install the OS then re-store the config files from the backup.

I will upgrade to version 7.0U3 after successfully completed

0 Kudos