VMware Cloud Community
amoreira
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Licensing

Hi, everyone,

I'm new to VMware products, forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this question - just redirect me!

This weekend I installed ESXi in my server machine and I installed the Client in my desktop. All works fine. However, I had the impression that ESXi was "free", except that the Client tells me that I'm on the second day of a 60-day evaluation period. That left me trying to find a way to update my license with ESXi, but I did not find the way to do it as yet, that is, if there is such a way ?

Do I misunderstand the "free" label, or could someone point me to where in the VMware online world I can get information on how to update my licensing status with ESXi ? Thanks a lot,

Alberto.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Esxi is free in stand-alone indeed.

However, you need to obtain a free license in your VMware account.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

There is only one ESXi distributive, for free and business installations.

When you install ESXi it works in "evaluation mode" whic equals Enterprise Plus for 60 days. So you just need to enter serial number to convert your ESXi to "Free license".

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
amoreira
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, guys,

Thanks very much for your answers! I have found how to enter the license string into my ESXi server, so all's well. This Monday night I took my server to my class (it's a little HP Athlon system, small enough that I can carry it around), and we all had fun creating VMs and installing guest OS's. Thanks again!

Alberto.

0 Kudos