VMware Cloud Community
bchristopeit
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Cluster?

Hello all. I have a question. Is there a possibility that I connect two ESXi v 7.0.3 together as a cluster and each server has its own local datastore.  I don't have a shared datastore unfortunately and I would need a failover guarantee for four virtual machines if one host went offline.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don´t think you can get a failover guarantee without shared storage.

ESXi A can´t take ownership of a VM that resides on the local Datastore of ESXi B.

Can you consider a vSAN 2-Node Cluster?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

A cluster only makes sense really when you have shared storage, there's no real benefit of having a cluster without shared storage as cluster functionality like HA and DRS wouldn't work.

0 Kudos
bchristopeit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer. Is there a possibility to run two ESXI which both have the identical machines and if a machine fails on the first ESXI, that the second ESXI then starts the machine on itself. It is about 4 identical VMs per ESXI which are only used for machine control. Nothing ever changes on the machines, so to speak.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There is no such automatic within vSphere. You will need some 3rd. Party stuff or a simple self written Powershell Script for that job.

For sure there is HA, FT but for that you have to meet the requirements (Shared Storage, Licensing....).

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos