VMware Cloud Community
tgbennett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5.1 install from PXE to USB

I am installing ESXi 5.1 from a PXE installation source to a local USB on a Cisco UCS B200M3 blade. My configuration works well when the servers have no local HDD's. In this config I am using install --firstdiskdisk --overwritevmfs in my KS.CFG. I have installed 50+ servers using this method.

I am now trying to do the same for servers that also have local HDD's but the installer installs to the local HDD instead of the USB. If i use the same command ESXi gets installed to the local HDD instead of the USB. I tried install --firstdisk --overwritevmfs and install --firstdisk=disk-type3,disk-type1 --overwritevmfs thinking it would install to the USB. When I use either of these I get an error ....KS.CFG:line8 Install --firstdisk specified, but no suitable disk was found.

Has anyone successfully installed ESXi 5.x to a USB when local disks also exist?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can try in my KS.CFG?

thanks,

tim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tgbennett,

How about setting Local Disk policy as NO disk on service profile and trying it? That way server will not recognize the local disk. And you can normally try your desired installation.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
tgbennett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried that but UCS balks with an error that it would be destructive to the local disks and does not allow it to happen.

I also have some more info after reviewing the weasel.log. It sees the USB and it knows its a USB. It seems like the install --firstdisk=disk-type3,disk-type1 option does not work.

01.jpg

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Simply specify usb-storage as part of the install command in an automated install script.

install --firstdisk=usb-storage --overwritevmfs

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

SatyS

If you find this useful,mark the answer as correct/helpful

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Dear tgbennet,

By default, the eligible disks are set to the following order:

1 Locally attached storage (local)

2 Network storage (remote)

3 USB disks (usb)

So if you say  " install --firstdiskdisk' , it will obviously install on the local disk. So suggestion would be to change that to  "--firstdisk==usb".

Please refer the documentation center install/upgrade script commands for more details.

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos