VMware Cloud Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 and Update Manager

Hello All,

As Im sure a lot of you are well aware, ESXi 5.1 is the last release with a .NET VI Client that is a seperate install. From now on we are to use the Web Interface to manage the ESXi hosts.

My question lies with Update Manager. Does anyone know if you can use Update Manager in the web interface? I can only see where to use it in the VI Client.

If you know of any discussions or documentation about how to use it in the web interface, please post it. Or if you know any information about being able to (Or for that matter, not being able to) use it in the web interface I would love to hear it.

-Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Ed,

Yes I am working in VMware. In future releases there wont be .Net/C# Client and only web client. In present release VMware wanted users to use both vSphere client and web client so users can become comfortable with web Client.

I am pretty sure in future releases , the UM plugin will be integrated.

Hope this answers your questions.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to VMware communities, Unfortunately there is no Update manager plugin for vSphere WEB Client .

So to manage update manager you still have to use  vSphere Client (.NET Client) only.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Are you with VMware? If so, can I ask if this feature will be moved into the web client at some release?

I ask because since the plan is to deprecate the VI Client and give it no further upgrades with new releases, yet it still must be installed if we want to use Update Manager. I imagine that vShield is the same way? As I could not find a vShield plug in / feature in the web client.

Ed

0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Ed,

Yes I am working in VMware. In future releases there wont be .Net/C# Client and only web client. In present release VMware wanted users to use both vSphere client and web client so users can become comfortable with web Client.

I am pretty sure in future releases , the UM plugin will be integrated.

Hope this answers your questions.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos
eherrera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

how can i see what are the plugins installed in the web client 5.1?

thank you!

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can't. Not yet at least. In future versions they will start adding all that additional functionality we get in the .NET client.

Ed

0 Kudos
Wrayman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a further question regarding future versions of Update Manager.  Will it be rolled into the VSphere Server appliance or will it continue to require a Windows server?

0 Kudos
ITnavMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From Home go to Administration / Solutions / Plug-In Management.  You can see what is installed and you can probably break it if you want to.  Smiley Happy

Not much there yet, but I'm sure it will start to fill in.

0 Kudos
miguelmolina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Everybody,

The question is really and very important.

When Will we have Update Manager installed in VCVA (vCenter Virtual Appliace - Linux)?

And When will we have Web Client doing updates and upgrade using UM (update Manager)

Thank You.

Regards.

Miguel Molina

0 Kudos
iamzanadoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As ITnavMan man says you navigate to Administration > Solutions > Plug-in Management. However there is one gotcha here in that even if you are logged in with administrator privileges you won't be able to see this. Instead you need to login either as the SSO administrator (admin@system-domain) or as a user with those same privileges (SSO Administrators group)

You can disable plugins here but clearly be very careful!

For example you can disable the vCenter Orchestrator plugin and once the vSphere Web Client has been reloaded all traces of Orchestrator disappear from the UI.

Now this is all well and good but as others have said there isn't a VUM plugin for the vSphere Web Client......

0 Kudos