VMware Cloud Community
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.0, upgrade to 5.1 or just wait for 5.5 to be released

We have an ESXI 5.0 host and I wanted to upgrade to 5.1 to accommodate server 2012 but I heard that the 5.5 release is around the corner. Should I wit for that or upgrade to 5.1?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 5.5 is released & ready for download. I will suggest to go for ESXi 5.5. Upgrade is very easy & straight forward

Upgrade ESXi 5.1 to 5.5

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to vSphere Upgrade & Install

The improvements in SSO in vSphere 5.5 are likely worth waiting for. If you don't have a pressing need to get to vSphere 5.1 right away, it is probably worth the wait.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

It is always recommended to follow the upgrade path from one by next. So I would suggest to go with 5.0 to 5.1. and check how it is behaving in your environment.

Yours,
Mar Vista

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It all depends on your needs. Like you said you needed support for 2012 so you wanted to upgrade to 5.1. If the new features do not make sense for you then there is no point upgrading to the newer version. But as they say, the latest the best. So see if its really makes a lot of difference then switch to 5.5. And as vmroyale mentioned, if you have some breathing time till 5.5 releases you might as well wait. I'm sure it will be worth it.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As someone who has done this path many times let me provide two different theories:

1. Upgrading to 5.1 is a pain due to all the SSO issues you will run into

2. Upgrading to 5.5 during the first few weeks of release could be more of a pain.

At this point if you need server 2012 then I would go the 5.1 path because at least all of it's issues are known and well documented / supported by VMware.  I never want to take my production environments into a new software release day one.  I will be looking at the 5.5 release around Feb. 2014 by then all the issues will have been worked out.  That being said I am running 5.5 beta right now on a test cluster but not in production.  

So simple answer if you have not yet updated to 5.1 (because you don't like the bleeding edge) why go bleeding edge on the next update.

Thanks

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Exactly, and infact, I'm in the progress of upgrading all of the environment into 5.1 Update 1b now as we speak. :smileylaugh:

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Step to Step Up gradation is always recommended so upgrade first with 5.1..

Take care!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm with and would go directly to vSphere/ESXi 5.5.

André

0 Kudos
vjbangis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's time to upgrade Smiley Happy.

ESXi 5.5 is ready to download.

0 Kudos
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 5.5 is released & ready for download. I will suggest to go for ESXi 5.5. Upgrade is very easy & straight forward

Upgrade ESXi 5.1 to 5.5

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got a message saying that "No network adapters" were detected which is weird because the 5.1 version of ESXi was installed without issue. The NIC I am using is a Realtek RTL81XX, how can I integrate that into the 5.5 ISO?

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is that happening on the HP Blade servers ?

I am facing the same issue with ESXi 5.1 Update 1 on the BL 490c G7, the fix was to update the Virtual Connect and the Flex-10 firmware manually.

--

Disclaimer: This email was sent from my iPhone, apologize for any typographical error.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually not a server but desktop. I was using it as a test box but I just find it strange the 5.1 detects my NIC but 5.5 does not.

0 Kudos