VMware Cloud Community
Pighinr
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 and VMTools on XP

We are starting to build our Test -View environment.  We have to ESXi servers running the new 5.0 version and Vcenter 5.0.  I am building our template computer (WINXP sp3), but I can't install VMTools on it.

When I try to install, I get "Setup cannont continue.  The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete the installation"

I found a few suggestions on line, but have not worked.  (rebooting and changing DVD drive letter).

Wonder if anyone has come across this.

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The VMware Tools installations should create a couple of log files. Maybe they contain a hint on what is causing the issue!? Please take a look at these files or compress/zip them and attach them to your next post

André

0 Kudos
Pighinr
Contributor
Contributor

It is not creating any logs on the XP box.  I checked all the TEMP directories and even did a search for VM* and found two dll files not related to VMWare.

I don't think it is even getting to the point of install.

There is also nothing in EVENT VIEWER.

thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
ChiNorthSideGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed ESXi v5.1 and the W8.1 preview.

Received the aforementioned error:

"Setup cannont continue.  The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete the installation"

Someone suggested TMP & TEMP, but I had already setup the User TMP & TEMP variables & directories.

BUT, when I checked the System Environment Variables, I saw that the system TMP & TEMP environment variables were set to non-existent values.

This was remedied without any other changes & the VMtools installation completed successfully.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Have you tried to upgrade the installer to Version 4.5 on WinXP.

Hope will help.

Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

Your Oscar

0 Kudos