VMware Cloud Community
WeSsIdE
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 / DL380G7 (P410i/512) / Server 2003 32 or 64 installation Question

ESXi 5.0 / DL380G7 (P410i/512) / Server 2003 32 or 64 installation Question

Trying to install server 2003 32 or 64 doesnt find hard drive.... expected. You need the driver, the F6 durrring installation driver. I am really struggling to find the right one. Can I get some guidence. Please do not post he hcl or any list it is all supported.I am not having any issues with floppy images or mounting a floppy. Just getting the right driver so I can continue the install. GRRRRRRRR

Wesside

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi

Just to clarify - this is when you are trying to install the windows OS ?

thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
WeSsIdE
Contributor
Contributor

yes the f6 durring os install .

Wesside

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The VM creation wizard configures the virtual hardware in a way that most guests can be installed out of the box. For Windows 2003 a LSI-Logic SCSI controller is configured by default, which will be recognized by Windows 2003 during installation.

Did you manually configure a different controller type?

André

0 Kudos
WeSsIdE
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved my own issue at this time. To help others I will state :

When using a DL380 G7 atleast with the P410i/512/FW + ESXi 5.0 builds in the 4s and 6s I am flat out unable to load a server 2003 r2 32bit or 64 bit pressing F6 durring the install and using the VMWARE drivers that are built in when the VM was built using LSI Logic SAS.

THE SOLUTION TO THE ORIGINAL POST IS

Using LSI Logic Parallel instead of LSI Logic SAS.

I am not understanding why a server this new that has sas/600 uses LSI Logic Parallel. I am just guessing, but I would imagine win7 and svr08 up have built in drivers for sas/600 controllers.

PS. LSI-Logic SCSI is not an option. Maybe the LSI Logic Parallel used to be named LSI-Logic SCSI in a prior build.

WeSsIdE

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I am not understanding why a server this new that has sas/600 uses LSI  Logic Parallel. I am just guessing, but I would imagine win7 and svr08  up have built in drivers for sas/600 controllers.

I think there's a misunderstanding in how ESXi works. The Hypervisor (ESXi) itself uses drivers optimized for the underlying hardware (P410). The "LSI Logic Parallel" controller is just presented to the virtual machine, it is not used to access the hardware directly.

André

0 Kudos